Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine upgrades: all comments welcome

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
intake so small with decent lift kills valve train sometimes in 10-15k km and make engine noisier too from the stress
We're not racing road cars trying to win anything and even in race engines for better reliability, I try to use the least amount of lift that's practical, not the maximum lift that'll mechanically fit. Maximum lift doesn't always make power and unless it makes significant power to justify valve train stress, I think lower lift with less valve train stress is the better option particularly with road cars. I wouldn't personally wouldn't choose a cam with .600+ lift for an auto with a stock stall and around .575" is the lift I'd prefer.

This is not a bad stick for an auto stock stall we've used a few times. 219/227 @ .050 .580/587" lift on 112LC. Pulls hard with a lopey enough idle to hear the engine's not stock without drivability issues down low with a half reasonable tune.

Last edited:

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
We're not racing road cars trying to win anything and even in race engines for better reliability, I try to use the least amount of lift that's practical, not the maximum lift that'll mechanically fit. Maximum lift doesn't always make power and unless it makes significant power to justify valve train stress, I think lower lift with less valve train stress is the better option particularly with road cars. I wouldn't personally wouldn't choose a cam with .600+ lift for an auto with a stock stall and around .575" is the lift I'd prefer.

This is not a bad stick for an auto stock stall we've used a few times. 219/227 @ .050 .580/587" lift on 112LC. Pulls hard with a lopey enough idle to hear the engine's not stock without drivability issues down low with a half reasonable tune.
Appreciate your comments. So much to think about!

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
My cam has a lift of 0.604 and my tuner suggests my springs need to be checked or replaced every 40,000 kms. Increased frequency of valvetrain maintenance might be something to think about. I'm not too concerned about it.

Last edited:

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
My cam has a lift of 0.604 and my tuner suggests my springs need to be checked or replaced every 40,000 kms. Increased frequency of vavletrain maintenance might be something to think about. I'm not too concerned about it.
Yeh I dont drive it heaps, in fact the whole family no longer fits in it. Do about 4-5000 ks a year. I would be happy to replace springs every few years in the car. What I dont want to do is have to pull the heads again!!
I guess the question is with a .615 that ramps what is that magic figure to check springs and potentially change? 20k?

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I guess the question is with a .615 that ramps what is that magic figure to check springs and potentially change? 20k?
A better question is; How much power does .615" lift make over .580"?

You can also play with duration, lobe centre and cam timing to alter power and engine characteristics without the unreliability of high lift and steep ramps particularly if it doesn't make much difference. 20k valve spring changes for 5kw on a road car isn't worth the cost and effort is what I'm thinking.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
yeah everything i read says to keep them under .600 for anything thats driven on the regular

BROOKSBY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV
I bought the RCR Little Lunati high lift last year from G8Only. Been running good so far, I made 310rwkw on the dyno on my L76 motor.