Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Whine

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
It might have been something that simple AndROOS - although if there's that much spky noise coming from the alt itself it might indocate that the slip rings are a bit sad... (reco required)

Although here's another pretty simple one that I should've suggested before - have a look at the chassis ground cable - the one going from the negative battery terminal to the CHASSIS. (NOT the block) In most cases it's a relatively thin-ish cable as compared with your main power feed to the amp, plus it's often attached to the chassis in a spot which can get a lot of enviromental "crap" on it. This hurts two ways - a thin cable to start with (any current that flows from the positive terminal has to also appear at the negative one...), and it can become corroded and poorly conductive at the contact point. Try firstly locating the ground on the chassis and remove the bolt. Scrub the chassis metalwork, the bolt, and the terminal with a wire brush to brighten them up, give them a squirt of WD 40 and reassemble - might help a little, and definitely won't hurt! ;)

And_ROOS

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV +6
If it was "that" simple, ill honestly bust a nut with the hours wasted going over everything to find the issue :(

And_ROOS

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV +6
and with that said, the whine starts up again. Is there any test i can do on the alternator to see if thats the issue? This is doing my head in :(

And_ROOS

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV +6
A thought occurs. The antenna ha a ground yes? When i first got the car, the antenna was broken and eventually i think it dropped out of its position, also people keep telling me to ground my head unit, not entirely sure how to but maybe thats an issue.

I was reading a step by step process on how to check whats causing the problem, it says disconnect the RCAs at the amp to see if its an amp or wiring set up issue (unless i have read that wrong and they mean to disconnect at the head unit, which im not entirely sure if that would make a difference).

So if thats true, i think ive narrowed it down to either a grounding issue at the antenna, HU or where ive got the grounds, a HU issue (which i doubt) or an "other" issue like the alternator being dodgy, or terminals on the battery not being right.

So any ideas on how to test the alternator, reground the HU, a better ground for the Amps and ill post a picture of my battery and let someone with more experience tell me if there is something wrong.

And_ROOS

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV +6
AHA!

I think ive found the culprit, but i cant test it til Monday.

The high pitch whine that goes through the speakers, it goes when i take the faceplate off my headunit.

Anyway, i went and started my car and with the headunit/amp disabled, i could hear the whine sound coming from my Alternator.

Im no alternator expert, but im guessing thats the issue with my car. Does that sound right to you guys because im really hoping thats the issue but i dont want to have to go and lash out for a new alternator on the offchance im wrong lol.

timmy975

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE SV6 Ute
I just disconnected my rca's and speaker wire from my amp. When i drive the whine in is pretty much gone but when I have the volume turned all the way down it sounds like the speakers have static gong trough them. Now what does that mean. Thanks

Timmos

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
10' VE SSV
Gday mate - I had a MTX re-q5 for months where i worked endless hours trying to eliminate engine noise.

I ended up throwing the unit in the bin and purchasing a new headunit after having a personal confrontation with the MTX rep who instead of offering advise wanted to charge me $80 an hour to have someone come out and have a look at it.

And surely enough, the new headunit cleared the noise.

Take a look at this site - it may help you http://www.reqsound.com/support.aspx

I spoke to a few people about it also, someone suggested that it's possible the stock headunit already has engine noise - but because the output is so weak you don't notice it. By amplifying the signal your also amplifying the noise.

Goodluck!