Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engineering certificate for brake upgrade from SS to Brembo brakes ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Watched a test between 355mm front 4-piston Brembo and big brake spec’d Car.

Was nearly 15m difference, in stopping performance. Not bad.
Curious at what speed was the brake test performed from (assuming 100kph).

Also what were the tyre differences (if any) between the involved cars. Maybe some of that braking distance difference could be due to tyre compound & tyre width along with faster reacting ABS?

Given a choice, I’d prefer the AP 6 piston caliper setup in an emergency... it also looks way cooler (pun intended)...:p

If your asleep at the wheel like some and driving in a normal car, stops at various speeds listed are listed at https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/safety/road-safety/driving-safely/stopping-distances/graph

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
The car In the pictures does not even have the heavy duty brakes, they are standard brakes...
They were just reviewing a bog standard car. The journal made naff reference to it looking “police spec” simply by virtue that police also use commodores. This then allowed him to flow into “the braking package can be upgrade for $350 to the performance option” sales pitch... Just typical journalistic “review” likely based on the brochure....

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
Curious at what speed was the brake test performed from (assuming 100kph).

Also what were the tyre differences (if any) between the involved cars. Maybe some of that braking distance difference could be due to tyre compound & tyre width along with faster reacting ABS?

Given a choice, I’d prefer the AP 6 piston caliper setup in an emergency... it also looks way cooler (pun intended)...:p

If your asleep at the wheel like some and driving in a normal car, stops at various speeds listed are listed at https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/safety/road-safety/driving-safely/stopping-distances/graph
Funnily enough, both running Nitto Invos. I was impressed enough to have ordered a set for my Koya wheels, being made now.

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
Funnily enough, both running Nitto Invos. I was impressed enough to have ordered a set for my Koya wheels, being made now.
I been using the Nitto Invo for a while now they are a really cool tyre and the right price with loads of sizes! Also Nitto are the factory supplier for the Dodge Demon!

AC7F0AA3-325C-4737-B574-CE1AE92C43B7.jpeg

Last edited:

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Also interested in more detail of your braking distance observation.
See all published tests of Gen-F GTS braking distance 100-0 kph is around 35 metres, while the four pot Brembo on the SS-V Redline comes in at 37 metres (less than half a car length) travelling at highway speed to a dead stop.
Same tyres, was it the same car to call roughly same weight? Mustn’t be to get that huge discrepancy in velocity, given both travelling same speed.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
According to the Queensland government link I provided in my post above, a 100 kph stop take an average family car in 56m (in dry) or 80m (in wet) not including any reaction time.

So a 35m stop for the GTS and a 37m stop for the Redline sounds much more plausible, especially on same tyres. That’s around 7 car lengths to stop for the average and around 2 car lengths less for the GTS or Redline...

So the almost 3 car length difference between GTS and Redline demonstration @Tryg mentioned seems amazing and would mean the GST can stop from 100 kph in 20m... 4 car lengths...

Assuming it’s not some parallax error, then the natural question that pops into my mind is why have our regulators not mandated such safe brakes?

Really, I’d love to see this brake test live and with electronic measuring stopping distances... posting videos on YouTube would be great...

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
According to the Queensland government link I provided in my post above, a 100 kph stop take an average family car in 56m (in dry) or 80m (in wet) not including any reaction time.

So a 35m stop for the GTS and a 37m stop for the Redline sounds much more plausible, especially on same tyres. That’s around 7 car lengths to stop for the average and around 2 car lengths less for the GTS or Redline...

So the almost 3 car length difference between GTS and Redline demonstration @Tryg mentioned seems amazing and would mean the GST can stop from 100 kph in 20m... 4 car lengths...

Assuming it’s not some parallax error, then the natural question that pops into my mind is why have our regulators not mandated such safe brakes?

Really, I’d love to see this brake test live and with electronic measuring stopping distances... posting videos on YouTube would be great...
Two different drivers, differing skill levels, confidence levels...who knows. They stopped quick. I need to point out that I never said the SSV-R stopped in ‘published test’ lengths... you’re just raining on my parade. I just said the GTS pulled up well better.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Two different drivers, differing skill levels, confidence levels...who knows. They stopped quick. I need to point out that I never said the SSV-R stopped in ‘published test’ lengths... you’re just raining on my parade. I just said the GTS pulled up well better.
No don't take it so personally, it's actually JC members parade! Just what you stated doesn't add up on the face of it, given reference point 100 kph shows 1/2 car length GTS vs SS-V.
The braking distance equation either puts one car heavier, one car travelling faster, or both cars at least three times highway speed to increase 2m to 15m difference.
Thought you were willing to discuss the observation is all.

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
No don't take it so personally, it's actually JC members parade! Just what you stated doesn't add up on the face of it, given reference point 100 kph shows 1/2 car length GTS vs SS-V.
The braking distance equation either puts one car heavier, one car travelling faster, or both cars at least three times highway speed to increase 2m to 15m difference.
Thought you were willing to discuss the observation is

I can’t say why, just was at least 15m better. Maybe their tyres or brakes had been punished more, maybe the HSV had better brake compounds, it wasnt a scientific test. The GTS looked to have more consistency in braking too. The Commodores looked to have a fair bit of fade (around the track). Those big 6-pots on the Ford GT/FPV looked to be doing a lot better than Redlines too.

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car

I would love to provide video, but I wasn’t recording. I’ll be better prepared next time I go. I’ll take a Go Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.