Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engineering certificate for brake upgrade from SS to Brembo brakes ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Who said that the standard SS brakes failed the US police brake tests, is your statement an assumption or can you provide a link ?
Can’t remember exactly where I read it but as mass vehicle manufacturers are amoungst the cheapest tight arses entities in existence, they’d not mod a brake system unless absolutely required.

So changing standard SS brakes to 345mm rotors and bigger single piston sliding caliper that can take bigger pads would have been a necessity to sell their cop cars in the USA,... otherwise they wouldn’t have done the upgrade...

As I can’t provide a reference now, call it an educated assumption if you like ;)

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is this another assumption, please provide link to where the standard SS brakes failed the US police brake tests ?
Another assumption?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Obviously the better feel and performance of the Brembo's is not just or mainly due to the larger rotors. It's the clamping pressure and rigidity from a solid (non-sliding) caliper design.
@Ron Burgundy. Mate, are the rear rotors and calipers on the Popo spec cars upgraded too? I thought it was only the fronts.
Yes the SS is a powerful car. But the amount of power has little to nothing to do with the need for better brakes. Factors like speed, weight, tyres, suspension, environmental conditions and driving habits do though. Slowing an SS under difficult condions is no different to an SV6.
They all should have Brembo's
in my opinion.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Obviously the better feel and performance of the Brembo's is not just or mainly due to the larger rotors. It's the clamping pressure and rigidity from a solid (non-sliding) caliper design.
I’d think the hydraulic lines would play a big part in feel, pad compound also along with maybe booster... the whole package really. Any well designed braking system can be engineered with great pedal feel if the manufacturers want to, it’s not simply an issue of fixed verses sliding calipers, etc. A well designed single piston sliding caliper can be made to feel better than a poorly designed 4 piston fixed caliper system. It’s just that manufacturers do things based on profit. And sadly manufacturers feel there is no profit to design great single piston sliding caliper brakes on a cheap base model car... They leave the better brakes for the upspec models they change $$$$ for and these usually have brand braking systems as margins can be higher... we are a brand drive society sadly...
Yes the SS is a powerful car. But the amount of power has little to nothing to do with the need for better brakes. Factors like speed, weight, tyres, suspension, environmental conditions and driving habits do though. Slowing an SS under difficult condions is no different to an SV6.
Power relates to the potential top speeds and a higher top speed for a given vehicle weight defines to the amount of energy that needs to be dissipated by the brakes as heat.. It can be expressed in all sorts of ways but the physics is fixed...
They all should have Brembo's
in my opinion.
Agreed but how can a manufacturer then sell higher spec models if the base model is too good?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I’d think the hydraulic lines would play a big part in feel, pad compound also along with maybe booster... the whole package really. Any well designed braking system can be engineered with great pedal feel if the manufacturers want to, it’s not simply an issue of fixed verses sliding calipers, etc. A well designed single piston sliding caliper can be made to feel better than a poorly designed 4 piston fixed caliper system. It’s just that manufacturers do things based on profit. And sadly manufacturers feel there is no profit to design great single piston sliding caliper brakes on a cheap base model car... They leave the better brakes for the upspec models they change $$$$ for and these usually have brand braking systems as margins can be higher... we are a brand drive society sadly...
Power relates to the potential top speeds and a higher top speed for a given vehicle weight defines to the amount of energy that needs to be dissipated by the brakes as heat.. It can be expressed in all sorts of ways but the physics is fixed...
Agreed but how can a manufacturer then sell higher spec models if the base model is too good?
I agree in part re pedal feel. All components contribute to it. But sliders are simply an inferior design compared to fixed.
An SV6 will do what top speed? 250kph? Power is irrelevant unless you're braking the law in a big way. Even at lower speeds with rapid acceleration.
Re the brake upgrades being saved for up specced models, IMO safety should not be compromised. Brembo's should be standard. Because they don't fade. My mate's Ranger is designed as a towning vehicle. But the brakes overheat and fade badly towing his heavy boat down the mountain.
High end performance variants can be upgraded beyond entry level Brembo's. So there are still plenty of options for product / model differentiation wrt brakes.

Last edited:

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
Watched a test between 355mm front 4-piston Brembo and big brake spec’d Car.

Was nearly 15m difference, in stopping performance. Not bad.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi

Wow, link please.
I was under the impression that given the same friction coefficient (brake pads), similar piston displacement (clamping force), they performed pretty much on par, the larger rotor having more mass hence more ability to absorb more energy with successive hard runs.
That it seems impossible to reach the point of fade with the four piston caliper on the dBA 4000+ 32mm rotor with appropriate pads like HPX, A1RM, Remsa (so I’ve found).

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
N
Wow, link please.
I was under the impression that given the same friction coefficient (brake pads), similar piston displacement (clamping force), they performed pretty much on par, the larger rotor having more mass hence more ability to absorb more energy with successive hard runs.
That it seems impossible to reach the point of fade with the four piston caliper on the dBA 4000+ 32mm rotor with appropriate pads like HPX, A1RM, Remsa (so I’ve found).
No link, live...

One was GTS other was Redline, significantly different brakes. Great demonstration. Track day, Was a good set up, with lanes and cones. They even swapped sides. Very illuminating.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon

So for us dummies, which one pulled up in the shortest distance please?

Status
Not open for further replies.