Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

engineering certificate?????

UNEQVN

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn v6
to do a small mod to my chassi i was told i will need an engineering certificate. so thats all good, but where do you get one from? how do you go about it? and how much does it cost? i would love to hear anything at all on this topic, as i have no knowledge on it at all. thnx pps :yeah:

G

getdirty

The RTA/Vicroads websites have a list of approved engineers.

Make sure you speak to them BEFORE you do any mods.

Cost is usually around $600 regardless of what mods you are getting approved.

Shop around though, what one engineer won't approve, another may.

UNEQVN

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn v6
thnx man, someone told me it like $1500 regardless. and you gotta take your car to the place at each stage.

G

getdirty

The engineer I used for mine came out to the workshop and inspected it at each stage. He lived close by though, may have been different if he was further away.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
does anyone know.... i have a 5L v8 in my vl, i wanna upgrade it to an injected 5L from a VN or VP etc. do i need an engineers report for that? and what 'stages' are you talking about. i mean it would be a half day job (then a few more cos i dont know much about the wiring....) i cant imagine many stages.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
For EFIing a 5L VL your going to need a little more than 1/2 a day.

First of all your going to need a high pressure fuel pump and associated hoses, & wiring.
You will need EFI heads, intake manifold etc Also you will need a ser of suitable extractors for the EFI heads pacemaker do a nice set for the application.
You will need the dizzy, ignition module, all associated EFI gear, you will need to wire up a couple of relays a wiring diagram is available on my EFI 5L webpage http://members.westnet.com.au/scottl/howto/efi5l/
Also theres a fair bit of other useful info.

cheers
Scott

MoSkA

Steriotypical Wog
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Subaru WRX
Scott I think he's replacing the entire engine with a VN VP engine...

G

getdirty

Shouldn't need an engineers for that. As long as there is no changes to engine mounts and the capacity is the same you'll be ok.

With regards to time for the conversion, with any engine change, work out how long you think it will take and triple it.... at least.... remember there is always dramas!

There were plenty of stages with mine. I converted the 4.2 inline 6 in a GQ Patrol to a 4.5ltr quad cam v8. This required custom made bellhousing, extractors, engine mounts, gearbox crossmember, shortened and lengthened driveshafts etc etc etc. Plus I had all the suspension engineered, every suspension link modified, shock mounts moved etc etc.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Well my web site actually is about doing an engine swap else if he was to inject an esisting 5l most of the info on my site would still be the same.

GetDirty: I would have to agree with the time of a conversion, I had everything on track with my 5L then all kinds of problems arose, form my breaking my hand, rewiring the engine & wiring in a brand new fuse box, Pirtek hose dramas, deciding to install a new diff, making rear brake components, tail shaft mods, deciding to rebuild all the suspension, custom exhaust the list just keep going

cheers
Scott

UNEQVN

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn v6
all im looking to do is change my front lights from vn to something else.in order to do so, i need to expand the hole by cutting or filling it. what would i be looking at cost wise for this engenering ****? i dont think it would have many stages at all, just take old ones out, i have already measured it up, and marked the car, then i gotta do the job and fit em in.