Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EPA noise complaint on cammed ve

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Fit a stock airbox and MAF - to make it look legal. Stock airbox really makes them quiet which will help your case.

jasevessvR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline Wagon
Fit a stock airbox and MAF - to make it look legal. Stock airbox really makes them quiet which will help your case.
I have infill panels and didn’t keep all the stock ****....but I think your right, I’ll hunt round for the bits, any other suggestions ?
And thanks

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Don’t worry about the rad support cover - it’s not a compliance concern. Stock intake setups are usually cheap or free because people usually fit otr’s just like you have.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Know a bloke who did took his solid cammed 383 to have a defect cleared. Made up 2 thin steel plates the same size as the flanges after the cats with a 16mm hole in each. Undid the bolts and slid them in with a gasket on each side and the thing was silent. Was strange watching the engine move around in the engine bay not making a sound haha.
The bluey/defect joint down here checks for gaskets such as those.

Best bet is to fit some stock cans and be done with it. It will be less obtrusive to drive and still sound good when you give it a boot.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
On my old vy ss ute I kept old airbox/maf/pipes etc just for that reason if it ever got defected.

We did that flange plate trick on a mates 454 Hq...drilled just enough holes so that it ran & passed db test.
It could barely idle/drive with strangled exhaust & tiny aircleaner crunched under bonnet..tester jammed a wire in mufflers to make sure not filled with steel wool.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
The bluey/defect joint down here checks for gaskets such as those.

Best bet is to fit some stock cans and be done with it. It will be less obtrusive to drive and still sound good when you give it a boot.
thing is they're not going to pull the car apart to prove it - so can't see how they wouldn't pass it. Could also just use a flat 1.6mm piece of flat sheet and use a bit of high heat rtv on either side. Would look just like a gasket if done well

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
My mate tried the gasket trick. They dismantled his exhaust front to back. Some places are just ball breakers.

jasevessvR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline Wagon
Yeah, I’ll can’t afford the time to go back and forth, I’m on the hunt for stock parts, I’ve posted in wtb, anyone who has some bits they want to sell or even rent I’m interested please. L98 Manual wagon veII. Chasing stock intake (complete) and full std exhaust.