Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EPA Notice (VIC)

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
Hi Guys,

Received an EPA notice in the mail. Apparently an EPA officer reported my car as too noisy/problem with my exhaust. I have Pacemaker Tri-Y's, Magnaflowhi-flow cats and a twin 2.5" system.
1. Now what am i going to have to do to pass this EPA test? Standard cat back okay, or do i need to do the whole exhaust?
2. Will EPA test emissions also, or just noise level? I have a MAFLESS tune and OTRCAI so will these cause me problems?

Thanks,
Adam

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
my mate had this too, at 1:30am we passed a cop car sitting in a service rd on north rd near brighton/ mckinnion area, didn't get pulled over, just got a letter about a month later in the mail, had to go for epa, passed after putting a silencer on his exhaust, was a stock vl 6cyl with 3" straight through exhaust.

yeh put standard cat back on and should be ok, emissions should be ok. unless your car is running extremely rich you should be ok.

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
your notice should tell you what is expected of the car - if its just a sound check or a pollution check as well.

you need to do whatever you need to do to make the car quiet enough to pass the test.
if that means putting in a muffler or 2 - you better do it.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
What's the limit? 98 decibels or something isn't it?
There was one getting around warrnambool on the weekend, a blue 5.7ltr vz with the loudest exhaust i've ever heard, **** it was loud!
When i had mine fitted they told me they're only allowed to send it out at a certain decibel limit so i was pretty happy with that. Don't want it too loud anyway.

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
I think it's 90 or 95db. cpbait (or anyone here in melb) would you happen to have stock cat back exhaust i could borrow if i can't arrange something else... just in case?.. i don't have mine. Also think the test is just for noise, not emissions. Hopefully i don't have problems when i C+H it soon.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
What's the limit? 98 decibels or something isn't it?
There was one getting around warrnambool on the weekend, a blue 5.7ltr vz with the loudest exhaust i've ever heard, **** it was loud!
When i had mine fitted they told me they're only allowed to send it out at a certain decibel limit so i was pretty happy with that. Don't want it too loud anyway.

also a white vs wagon with 19s on it (well on the front at least - tosser rims on the back) that must be well over. he's looking at an EPA notice too if he doesn't slow down in our street!

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
ive had it done before i just put the stock exhaust on in and out easy

As in catback only or full system?

I might just change the rear muffler to something very quiet. Also FYI it was my missus driving, she got done in Carlton, wasn't even driving it silly. Apparently her ex used to get EPA notices for noise and traveled on this street daily. So i'm thinking an EPA employee lives on this street.

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
also a white vs wagon with 19s on it (well on the front at least - tosser rims on the back) that must be well over. he's looking at an EPA notice too if he doesn't slow down in our street!
i pulled up beside this POS today.
its got a yellow sticker coming to it soon anyway.

weedo_86

JC Resident FireFighter
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
03 VYII Clubby M6, 92 Barina With Sunroof :)
As in catback only or full system?

I might just change the rear muffler to something very quiet. Also FYI it was my missus driving, she got done in Carlton, wasn't even driving it silly. Apparently her ex used to get EPA notices for noise and traveled on this street daily. So i'm thinking an EPA employee lives on this street.

yeh it was on my vs i had extractors and i put the stock catback on passed no worries..... whe i got done dad was driving to cruise for charity cause i wasnt allowed to drive under tose power to weight laws