Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EPA on exhaust noise

Sabby

MSABBY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS FIFTY
got a letter today from the EPA stating that they want to do a noise test on my vu ss ute

it currently has extractors, 2 cats, center muffler but no rear muffler.

if i put on the rear muffler and spend 150 getting that done, will it be at regulation noise? whichi is around 90db?

or what else to do?
cheers

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
got a letter today from the EPA stating that they want to do a noise test on my vu ss ute

it currently has extractors, 2 cats, center muffler but no rear muffler.

if i put on the rear muffler and spend 150 getting that done, will it be at regulation noise? whichi is around 90db?

or what else to do?
cheers

Probably won't be under 90db even with the rear resi. Don't quote me on that though...

Could try on of these?

http://www.xforce.com.au/about-varex-remote-control-sports-muffler.php

vxcommie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive
i know dick smith sell the noise testers (WA), i dont know much about exsaust but give a noise tester a go..

Sabby

MSABBY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS FIFTY
yeah i might borrow one off a mate

sucks but its my own fault

or i can leave it at it is and risk a $597 - $1195 fine or worse still at court $7167

Sabby

MSABBY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS FIFTY
thats a good idea about the motorised exhaust but looks fair pricey.
went to an exuast shop and they said i gotta get a stock system from the extractors put on, $150

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
if its only $150 then thats better off than spending wat the fines r worth lol. least after u pass u can wack the current exhaust back on and keep the stock 1 if u ever need it again.

Sabby

MSABBY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS FIFTY
yeah thats the plan for now. then weld on the old muffler on the rear that i took of woops .
i am curious to see how many dB it is now

WNTDVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Stato & Evo VII.
If you fail the test you don't get fined, you'll just be told to change it so that it passes. In saying that, each test costs you $40 so you might as well make it pass the first time.

It would want to be a mighty big rear muffler that you put on. If the cats are high flow and the centre muffler a straight through type it still won't pass with the rear muffler.

Best bet is to have a standard system (if you still have it) fabbed to fit the cats and then it'll be right. Otherwise, throw a big rear muffler on it and some restrictor plates up front for the test.

Edit: What diameter is the exhaust?

Last edited:

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
get the rear resi bolted on and make a small gasket out of steel with a smaller hole then the size of the exhaust and bolt it up

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Just get it flanged at the cats and get the exahust place to make a custom bit that all bolts up to your stock system.

Get them to flange current system too so you can bolt/unbolt either system with ease :)

Will be a few bucks to get them to do it but much easier if this ever happens again.