Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Erik's 6L VZ SS

VT99_ST

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS L76
Love the colour mate, Good to see another nice L76 ;-)

derrro

haha tough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SS
Well it's been a while since I looked at my thread so time for an update: Heaps of **** has gone wrong with the car and I FIXED it all :)

This is what has needed fixing:

- radiator replacement (twice, wtf ???)
- water pump and thermo
- heater tap
- power steering rack (a major pain in the arse seeing that the new one, yes NEW not a reconditioned one, had a stress fracture in it and leaked when high pressure fluid was pumped into it. So that meant old rack off, new rack on, new ####ed rack off, number two new rack on).
- White shifter boot
- Battery (never buying a Century again as it leaked acid into my engine bay)
- AC compressor (seriously my bro's 70's car still has the original York compressor in it - get with it Delphi!!!)

I reckon I have saved thousands in labour doing this all myself hey. And learnt a lot too!

Am slowly replacing the 6 yr old leather in my beast with new old stock SS leather and new seat foam for the fronts. Got both front seat backs done, new anthracite door cards and the fold down section of the rear seat done so far. I still have the original (in pretty good condition) covers so anyone wanna buy em?

Am thinking about not going with Xforce for my headers and cats, but Hurricane instead. That dude from High Performance Autos reckons it's a heaps better product. So am thinking 1 7/8" long pipe headers and stainless 200 cell cats to bolt onto my 3" stainless Xforce zaust. Whateya reckon?

Took the car on a rally over the wk end - gotta love putting the rear end out on my 8!!! Haha big smiles all round :)

Here's a pic of the PS rack drama:

271519_10151217055663894_1179957000_o.jpg

Edit: you can see my stock cats with burnt on PS fluid - can't wait to get rid of them!

derrro

haha tough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SS
Oh hey Merry Christmas to all you!

Today was kinda fuc*kd car wise. For a couple of weeks my diff has been doing a whiney noise - and from research it seemed like the pinion gear was not engaging with the other gears? Anyway it didn't seem like a major drama - thought I would get the gears changed over to 3:9 at a later stage. Backed it out of the driveway today and it was clunky as. Decided to put it back in the garage and didn't make it up the driveway. Massive clunk etc. No power to rear wheels. Managed to park it on the road, put it up on the trolley jack and saw that the prop shaft had broken. Guess the diff sha*t itself and well I guess my car has a lot of torque! Damage done: diff gears (obviously), prop shaft and hand brake wires (got shredded when the prop went).

This is the shaft after I took it off the SS:

IMG_5576_zpsf80a59e9.jpg

Anyway oh well, shjit happens. Looking forward to new diff gears! Anyone got advice on what I should get? My car is an '06 6 litre six speed. Was thinking 3:9 but someone else reckons 3:7 is enough (it was for an auto but mine is manual). What is stock diff gear ratio wise for my car?

On other news I am getting my AC fixed!! For the first time since '09 I am going to have AC. Yay. It's not really that I could not afford it, but AC compressors in OZ are expensive. So I thought I might check out the States seeing as our exchange rate has been pretty favourable and scored a BRAND NEW AC Delco compressor, all new O rings, compressor oil, receiver drier and expansion valve for LESS THAN THE PRICE OF A NEW COMPRESSOR here, including postage to Sydney from San Diego :)

IMG_5577_zpsfd49c57e.jpg

So am going to put all this on my car once it is able to be moved and planned gas up is scheduled for 07 Jan.

Big E

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ss s2
Standard you have 3.45's. It's an m6 so go 4.11's man. Especially if you like doing skids ;) dont go 3.7's. Wouldn't be worth it at all. 4.11's in an m6 is pretty daily appropriate.

derrro

haha tough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SS
Standard you have 3.45's. It's an m6 so go 4.11's man. Especially if you like doing skids ;) dont go 3.7's. Wouldn't be worth it at all. 4.11's in an m6 is pretty daily appropriate.

never heard of 4.11's much - most ppl rave on abt 3.9's. Do you have 4.11's?

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
Wouldnt ur VZ have 3.7's already mine does, have a look on ya diff it'll say the ratio on that little white sticker ......