Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Erik's 6L VZ SS

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Dude you can fix it for alot less!!!!

derrro

haha tough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SS
Depends on the inspection after I take the head off. But welding aluminium heads is problematic; with heat cycling happening I could spend a lot welding it up only to have cracks reappear at random over the following weeks. With water involved it's extra drama because the cylinder can fill up with water overnight and when you turn the key the engine can hydrolock and I'll bust everything.

It seems I've drilled and made a connection between the exhaust port and the water jacket. Probably the only thing keeping water out of the cylinder would be combustion pressure or a closed exhaust valve. As evidenced by steam coming out of the exhaust while running, I have water trying to get into the cylinder. So when the engine is not running I have no combustion pressure and only a slight chance that the exhaust valve on that cylinder will be firmly closed. Stopping the engine means water will be trying to run into the cylinder past the exhaust valve whether it's open, partly open, or fully closed. If I start the engine with water on top of the piston it's goodbye to the engine.

So I'm replacing the head. Plan on keeping my car for a long time.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Hey derro just read through your thread and realised I'm a copy cat haha. Mines got hurricane 1 7/8's 200c cats, xforce and 3.9 diff gears! And I'm looking at getting a manta too. Atleast it's blue though lol.

Anyway how did you go with your head troubles?

derrro

haha tough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SS
Hey derro just read through your thread and realised I'm a copy cat haha. Mines got hurricane 1 7/8's 200c cats, xforce and 3.9 diff gears! And I'm looking at getting a manta too. Atleast it's blue though lol.

Anyway how did you go with your head troubles?

Hey man all good. Head wasn't as bad as it could have been - just drilled into the coolant. A engine shop in Artarmon that's been there for decades fixed it up, good as new.

I put it all back together myself and no dramas :)

One thing with the manta - it's nice and deep but a bit quiet and the H pipe prevents it barking at high revs. The set up I have is centre hot dogs and rear resonator. Am thinking about getting the H cut out and replacing it with an X. Anyone got any thoughts on that? I want it to be more raspy and exotic

derrro

haha tough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SS
Any good ideas for decent x pipes guys?

I saw something pretty awesome at njxs

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Why not get an xforce instead of butchering up a manta system?

X-force are loud, they definitely are raspy and run a x-pipe for that.. err.. "exotic" sound. :confused: