Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Esp

omar302

Reaction score
Members Ride
Chevrolet Lumina
I have a Middle East spec 2005 Chevrolet Lumina LS.
How can I know if its got ESP?
When looking at the specs for Commodores, the closest one to my car is the Commodore Aclaim.
It has the Alloytec 175. Has traction control. Automatic. ABS. 15" Alloy wheels.
If the ESP is working on correcting a slide, does it show something? I know when the Traction Control works "Low Traction" come on the display.
Thanks.

vy-346

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T 6A & VH-ZXA
Should be a button next to the traction control to turn in on/off mate. The acclaim did have it here in aus in the vz though.

daveb8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
the switch is behind the power windows. it will say esp on it (see attachment).

other ways to compare your car to holdens are the fabric on the seats (if its the same as the pic then its probably an acclaim), if it has Side Impact Airbags (SIAB should be written on the b-pillar), and the strips along the doors if you have them. if its black plastic its an exec if its body coloured its an acclaim.

small details but they're the differences between an exec and an acclaim, well in australia. i know very little about exported models. i thought they exported execs, berlinas and monaros to the middle east??

Attachments

• PICT0027.jpg
    PICT0027.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 737

omar302

Reaction score
Members Ride
Chevrolet Lumina
I have a trac Control switch that is near the shift selector ( on the opposite side of the power shift switch). As for the fabric you can see the attachment.
I know the standard Lumina is very close to the Executive; with only a driver's Airbag, wheel covers, no ABS.
My car is an upper class LS, it has Alloy wheels similar to the acclaim pictured in http://www.users.on.net/~nweber/commodore/vz/index.html#acclaim
plus dual airbags, ABS & tracion control & four power windows, but it is missing the side airbags & rear park assist.
As for the side stips, all Lumina LS in 2005 had them black, but in 2006 all had them body colour (even base models without alloy wheels).
I know it is hard to know which model it is. But i wanted to know a hard fact on how to know if it has ESP. From what I read the ESP is a feature that works behind scenes, i.e. you don't know if its working or not and you cannot turn it off. I tried to skid the car on wet roads and found it difficult and i might be feeling something helping the car go back to its track but there is no indication on the display. I also didn't drive any other Lumina/Commodore so i don't know how the car drives with the ESP or without.
As for the fabric, you can see my car's attached.

Attachments

• Interior Front Trac.JPG
    Interior Front Trac.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 636
  • Interior Rear.JPG
    Interior Rear.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 342
  • Front Left trac.JPG
    Front Left trac.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 336

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
with the skids, did you have T/C on while u were doing it?
also i have heard the 175 alloytecs aren't really good for skids anyway.

daveb8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
i am pretty sure you have an executive with traction control and acclaim alloys. so i doubt it has esp. there is probably a way to know for sure but i dont know what that is. i will try to find out

omar302

Reaction score
Members Ride
Chevrolet Lumina
Does the ESP on the Australian VZ commodore (Acclaim) have a Off switch?
or is it the same as Trac off?
Any pictures of the switch?
Thanks.

daveb8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
yeah it does have a button it says "ESP" on it and it is located between the power windows and the central armrest

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
If you have ESP you won't have the traction control button in the console. ESP button will replace it. So turning ESP on/off also turns traction control on/off. So no, your car is not fitted with ESP.

omar302

Reaction score
Members Ride
Chevrolet Lumina
Thanks for the info. I guess maybe my next purchase will have a ESP.