Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Everything to know about VB - VKs

This thread a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 227 99.1%
  • No (please explain why)

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters

hiy_po

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Executive
i just wana know what the differnce is with vk calipers 2 vn. i am getting rid of the drums.

I fitted a VL V8 diff to my 6cyl VK SL, the diff came with VL disks and calipers brake lines and handbrake cable. Removed the old drums with the old diff bolted up all the VL rear end and then bolted up my 15/16 4WD master. all has seemed good up until I needed to brake a bit harder than normal and the started fishtailing. I seem to have too much brake bias to the rear. This could be due to rear tyres being a litle low on tread or my shockers being less than bran new but I am pretty sure the standard 6cyl VK front disks are below par. I would recommend at least changing to the VL 298mm rotors with matching calipers and 15inch wheels (I still have the 14s) But I am looking at doing a 330mm rotor and twin piston caliper upgrade on mine along with a 17inch wheel upgrade to fit over the brakes. Then maybe fitting adjustable height struts with new shockers. All in the interest of pulling up straight again. It used to pull up dead straight with the original disk/drum standard combo.

hiy_po

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Executive
Does the VK with rear drums and a 15/16 have a proportioning valve? I cant see one in the lines anywhere. If a VL has one then maybe I need to fit one. Brakes were well bled after the conversion was finished and pedal feels firm and doesnt fade when held on for an extended period of time so dont think I have air in lines.

To add to the post:- Found the proportioning valve its built into the master cylinder. There is a chance it could have been dicky as it came from a wrecked VK calais 6cyl EFI.
The front rotors are smaller than the rear ones.
The Front rotors have been changed to 330mm, Calipers are now PBR C4 twin piston and master cyl is 1 inch new PBR. Brakes pull up real well now. From high speed can jam on the brakes as hard as I like and will slow down completely even and eyeball poppingly quick.

std_disk.jpg330mm_c4.JPG

Last edited:

grubsclan

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy calais
Hello!!
Im not sure if this is the right place to be asking, but i have 2 vk's sitting at my fathers property.I want to get rid of them but i have no idea what type of engine etc they have in them or what they would be worth. I have taken photos of them both got the eng number etc so here goes:

1. model: VK8VK19-134. SEPT 85. ENG V7X ---manual too (car smashed up thanks to young kids, gosh the kids today) hasnt been started in over 18 months either
2. model: VK8VL19-233. MAR 84 . ENG L31--- auto berlina with 77000kms still has original everything unver bonnet & even back visors!!

If any one could help me out that would super!! And nothing too technical.... im a female!! :hmmm:

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
ENG V7X, 304 ci V8. Eng L31, 308.

Aussiesk8a

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore ex pursuit
anyone know anything about fitting a turbo 700 from a 304 vq statesman into a 308 vk?? the vk currently has a toploader so i have two different crossmembers. anyone know what has to be done for fitment?

JORDY2

Reaction score
Members Ride
1979sle commodore
Hi nz guy here.where can i get 79 sle badgers.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Rare spares might have the guard ones still.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
anybody know where to get a red 3.3 liter decal??? ebay or rare spares has none..

Lukas.H

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vc wagon
Not sure if this is the right place to post this so feel free to tell me otherwise.

I want an LSD in my vc wagon. I can get a vh sedan LSD but wondering if this will fit my wagon. If the complete diff doesn't fit, can the centres be swapped and is this a job that can be done at home or better left to a professional.

If anyone has better options for me to obtain LSD the I would love to hear.