Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Excessive Fuel Consumption

Leenie gal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I've run 95 octane fuel since new.
Around town I get 11L/100, and on the highway I've had it as low as 6.8L/100 and that was fully loaded with 5 of us and the wagon absolutely filled, AND sitting on 140km/h (NT).

38 psi tire pressure.

I run nitrogen also. Some people say its a waste of time, but for me I've driven Darwin - Alice Springs maintained 38 psi, and tires still cool to touch on arrival.
Also I think they extend the life of the tires due to not expanding and contracting.
I get 60***km from a set of 20's
Car has 160***km on it, and only on its 2nd set of tires.
I have noticed a gradual improvement in fuel consumption after each rank of 95. Currently sitting at 13.2lt constant city driving but slowly coming down. Thanks for heads up on the tyre pressure, will run it as you suggested and look into nitrogen next rotation.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Yes that is how I measured it each time as I don’t trust the computer. Then did the call manually.

I have the same V6/5-speed driveline as your SV6 (but in a heavier Statesman) and easily gets 7.8-8.2 L/100kms on the highway and 11-12 L/100kms around town. I get around 9-10L highway in my SS and 14-16L town.

I've also found the trip computer in VE's amazingly accurate, especially the higher spec versions in the upper models like Calais, SS-V, Statesman etc. I knows an SV6 doesn't have the info of the three-window trip but it should still take measurements from the same source/sensors etc.

They're nothing like the analogue systems of old and I've tested mine in the Statesman down to millilitres of fuel.

Kingcarl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 series II MY 12.5
I have the same V6/5-speed driveline as your SV6 (but in a heavier Statesman) and easily gets 7.8-8.2 L/100kms on the highway and 11-12 L/100kms around town. I get around 9-10L highway in my SS and 14-16L town.

I've also found the trip computer in VE's amazingly accurate, especially the higher spec versions in the upper models like Calais, SS-V, Statesman etc. I knows an SV6 doesn't have the info of the three-window trip but it should still take measurements from the same source/sensors etc.

They're nothing like the analogue systems of old and I've tested mine in the Statesman down to millilitres of fuel.
I have also found computer incredibly accurate. I've had my Sv6 as low as 6.7 l/100, around town 11.5 consistently.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
My manual ssv gets down into the 7’s per 100 on the motorway pretty impressive for a 6 litre engine it has otr, hsv headers with de cat pipes, 3 inch exhaust and mafless tune

rognvald261

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS A6
It is possible to get 3-5 l/100 from our engine under certain conditions using cooled egr. That’s impressive.

Kingcarl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 series II MY 12.5
It is possible to get 3-5 l/100 from our engine under certain conditions using cooled egr. That’s impressive.
I'd believe that I got 5.something out of me trusty VR over a 100km stint once.

rognvald261

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS A6