Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Excessive tyre wear - rear outside edge

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
I know you're concerned about tyre wear but just wanted to share my experience. When I switched tyres in the MSE I also had more aggressive geometry added: -1.3 negative camber and +0.5 positive toe on front, +1.6 positive toe on the rear (all per tyre). Significant and very noticeable difference, handling feels much improved, turn in is incredible now, and you really feel the difference going around roundabouts (i.e. turning circle). I can only imagine its kind of what what rear wheel steering feels like on modern supercars.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I know you're concerned about tyre wear but just wanted to share my experience. When I switched tyres in the MSE I also had more aggressive geometry added: -1.3 negative camber and +0.5 positive toe on front, +1.6 positive toe on the rear (all per tyre). Significant and very noticeable difference, handling feels much improved, turn in is incredible now, and you really feel the difference going around roundabouts (i.e. turning circle). I can only imagine its kind of what what rear wheel steering feels like on modern supercars.
That's a great setup for track days, no doubt. Turn in and out would be sharp and precise. Not so great for the street though I suspect. How is your tyre wear?

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
That's a great setup for track days, no doubt. Turn in and out would be sharp and precise. Not so great for the street though I suspect. How is your tyre wear?

It's hard to say because the week I got the tyres I did a track day which melted the tyres. With that said, I haven't noticed any issues, but I'm sure the wear will be faster. Part of the alignment at Bridgestone was a 3 month free check and they gave them the thumbs up. Next check they want to rotate them - how do you do that with staggered wheels? Will they take them off the rim and rotate them inside to out at least? Is that possible?

Good thing about the RE003's are that they relatively cheap, so I'm not concerned about additional wear, I'm happy to sacrifice wear for improved handling.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It's either the toe incorrectly set, or the camber incorrectly set....It won't be a tyre pressure issue....If it was a tye pressure issue, it would be BOTH edges, or the centre, not one edge.

You could get it attended to straight away, but it will only reduce it wearing more prematurely, which is a good thing....

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

I really get where you’re coming from with this setup as I have similar with some of my cars including my dailies.

I don’t know what the exact specs are without reaching for my walking stick and going to the filling cabinet but I am aware that my tyre life isn’t even close to what some owners say they get and to make it worst, I also always fit very soft tyres.

I’m happy to get between 5,000 and 10,000 k’s for a set depending on the car and the wear is always uneven but I see it all as the price I’m more than willing to pay to have a car that feels very engaging and responsive even with street driving.

Every day I drive through a very tight bend near my home and it’s very rare to see anything follow me through it at the 60kph speed limit, most back off to about 35-40 and those that try are unusually in all wheel drive Audi’s or nicely setup Porsches.

That bend never ceases to thrill me.

I know some people wouldn’t do this as they see dollars as more important but I’d rather have the fun instead of the money and when you only clock up a couple of thousand k’s a year on a car, tyre wear doesn’t matter compared to having a car that truly handles.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's either the toe incorrectly set, or the camber incorrectly set....It won't be a tyre pressure issue....If it was a tye pressure issue, it would be BOTH edges, or the centre, not one edge.

You could get it attended to straight away, but it will only reduce it wearing more prematurely, which is a good thing....

Maybe he just can't see the inner edge properly? 36psi does sound a bit low for those tyres.

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
I really get where you’re coming from with this setup as I have similar with some of my cars including my dailies.

I don’t know what the exact specs are without reaching for my walking stick and going to the filling cabinet but I am aware that my tyre life isn’t even close to what some owners say they get and to make it worst, I also always fit very soft tyres.

I’m happy to get between 5,000 and 10,000 k’s for a set depending on the car and the wear is always uneven but I see it all as the price I’m more than willing to pay to have a car that feels very engaging and responsive even with street driving.

Every day I drive through a very tight bend near my home and it’s very rare to see anything follow me through it at the 60kph speed limit, most back off to about 35-40 and those that try are unusually in all wheel drive Audi’s or nicely setup Porsches.

That bend never ceases to thrill me.

I know some people wouldn’t do this as they see dollars as more important but I’d rather have the fun instead of the money and when you only clock up a couple of thousand k’s a year on a car, tyre wear doesn’t matter compared to having a car that truly handles.

Bingo, totally agree! I have a particular route that I take from work to the gym which takes me through a series of narrow roundabouts with good visibility. Chuck the car in performance, wind the windows down, then proceed to thrill - brake early while scanning for cars, then accelerate through the roundabout leveraging the torque vectoring, it gives me a grin ear to ear every time, except when I hit traffic that generally take them at 20kmph.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yep, we have a round-a-bout like that at the top of our street, take a proper line through it and you can take it at a much greater speed....

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Maybe he just can't see the inner edge properly? 36psi does sound a bit low for those tyres.

May sound a little low, but Ron's first post does mention inner tread depth, which is what I'm going off

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
May sound a little low, but Ron's first post does mention inner tread depth, which is what I'm going off
I took 3 measurements. Inner, middle and outer groove. Inner one is the same as the middle one. Only outer one on both sides is about 2mm less than the rest of the tyre