Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Excessive tyre wear - rear outside edge

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I've always been told that once
radials start wearing unevenly, they continue to do so, even if the issue e.g. camber, castor, toe or inflation is corrected. Albeit at a slower rate. In my experience this has held true. Of course the other factor is that, in this case, Ron has 2mm less tread on the outer edges. So, this edge may be worn out when the rest of the tread is still ok.

OK, I interpreted differently, thought you meant even from fitting new tyres.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Does having 275's instead of the factory 245s have any effect on camber etc?

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
TBH I leave the setting and the detail to my alignment guy, there’s a heap to it and not only has he dedicated room and equipment but experience (in this case ex-speedway champ).
So yeah spend like that is justifiable vs safety and premature wear of (presumably) not cheap tyres, I’d mention it and fix it straight away. Must say I love my car more every time after a pro alignment. :oops:
Couldn't agree more. A pro alignment is worth the money. Most (not all) tyre shop alignments aren't as good because they are often to a price so are time and money limited.

@Ron Burgundy Could be pressure, could be alignment. How many km on the tyres? What pressure do you run them at? How often do you check the pressure and do they require air when you check?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Couldn't agree more. A pro alignment is worth the money. Most (not all) tyre shop alignments aren't as good because they are often to a price so are time and money limited.

@Ron Burgundy Could be pressure, could be alignment. How many km on the tyres? What pressure do you run them at? How often do you check the pressure and do they require air when you check?

Just over 30000km...

I run 36psi as per placard or 40 psi when loaded over holidays etc...

They are checked regularly and never under 36psi

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Camber is fairly noticeable, especially if it's excessively negative or positive .. does it look like you have positive camber on the rear? Otherwise, as I mentioned above, it's likely too much toe in, which scrubs the outer edges as you drive down the road. Ask a wheel aligner to tell you what the current settings are and go from there.

FE2 specs according to the service manual for the rear are:
Camber -0.6 deg (+0.35/-0.45)
Toe +0.2 deg (+- 0.2)

So anything from around -1 to -0.25 degrees camber is "within spec", along with 0.4 to 0 toe in is "within spec".

There is some camber adjustment (if the car is lowered then there is more negative camber), and there is toe adjustment. The aligner should definitely be able to get zero toe or slight toe in without too much hassle. If you have a lot of positive camber, then I'd say you've bent something or hit something fairly hard?
Visually ... it all looks nice and straight...
No noticeable camber...

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I have 235 x 35 x 19 & l have my tyres inflated to 40 psi. They are wearing fairly even. Haven't measured them though.
I've had for 3 years. Bought tyres & wheels used, supposedly fairly new.
I put more than 30 k on them.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Just over 30000km...

I run 36psi as per placard or 40 psi when loaded over holidays etc...

They are checked regularly and never under 36psi

Hi Ron,

Did you update the placard when you updated your rims?

My car’s placard states 39psi (front) and 44psi (rear) for heavy loads. (36psi all round for standard load).

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Hi Ron,

Did you update the placard when you updated your rims?

My car’s placard states 39psi (front) and 44psi (rear) for heavy loads. (36psi all round for standard load).

I did. Got the one from holden. But i rarely have the full load...so I stick to 40psi all around on those occasions...

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I would run higher pressure around town, 39 psi and see how that goes.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
What about cornering hard? Mine are wearing more on the front outers. I look at my sister SV6 and think oh wow look how much meat she has on her tyre edge