Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust advice - 2.5" down from 3

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I'd be too frightened to say in case my wife found out.
We built a race car for a bloke about 10 years ago and cost 65k all up. Even at 65k, the labor rate worked out at 3rd year apprentice wages, so we probably should've charged 100k!

He owed 9.5k and transferred that from a joint bank account with his wife when collecting the car and then he said, "oh, if my wife ever asks what the new race car cost me, can you tell her 9.5k!". Effectively, he hid $55,500 from his wife that she obviously didn't know about!

I could write 20 pages on snow jobs hiding money from wives to spend on performance and race cars over the years, but this was by far the best one I recall someone getting away with!

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
We built a race car for a bloke about 10 years ago and cost 65k all up. Even at 65k, the labor rate worked out at 3rd year apprentice wages, so we probably should've charged 100k!

He owed 9.5k and transferred that from a joint bank account with his wife when collecting the car and then he said, "oh, if my wife ever asks what the new race car cost me, can you tell her 9.5k!". Effectively, he hid $55,500 from his wife that she obviously didn't know about!

I could write 20 pages on snow jobs hiding money from wives to spend on performance and race cars over the years, but this was by far the best one I recall someone getting away with!
Smart man.

every dude needs a slush fund, or as I like to call it, the " for when I need to leave home in a hurry" account.

This was my system when it was full 3 inch, with 100 cell cats. Since then the cats have changed to 200cell, mid section is 2.5, and also smaller mufflers.
No loss in power The 100 cell cats had **** themselves within 5000km

vf1.....jpg
VF1...jpg

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
This was my system when it was full 3 inch, with 100 cell cats.
What headers are they? The collectors design wise look reasonable unlike others with cats directly behind the collector could never work optimally.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
All my parts get shipped to work where I typically use our workshop area to install them

I do have an approved "slush fund" bank account that I use as well, which she has not questioned in 17 years of me having it, hopefully she has totally forgotten about it

The Minister for War and Finances has no idea the car blew the rear end a while ago and required the "slush fund" to take a substantial hit

My wife always knew roughly what I spent on cars and mods and didn't care, as long as the family came first, and I didn't criticize her spending.

I bought my first car at 17 and I've now reached my 60's and still buying.

And one thing I've learnt after all these years is, I'm very good at buying them but I've never been very good at letting them go, and because of that, I have a few sitting around.

Mickcc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2016 Series 2
My wife always knew roughly what I spent on cars and mods and didn't care, as long as the family came first, and I didn't criticize her spending.

I bought my first car at 17 and I've now reached my 60's and still buying.

And one thing I've learnt after all these years is, I'm very good at buying them but I've never been very good at letting them go, and because of that, I have a few sitting around.

I know what to mean about collecting Cars I still have my WA Car in the Shed a 1985 RJ70 Black import and has everything elect windows sunroof tilt gauges etc
will find it hard to let it go still in rebuild clutch to painting then the Toyota 105 Black have updated the stereo unit to DVD reversing camera
need it to tow the Boat and the latest one is the VF Black only a V6 but a bloody nice car maybe the best of the three

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
That's exactly what I did and half the time, my wife did the transaction for things I ordered. My obsession with cars and motorsport was too strong to try and hide from my wife and thought it best to be upfront about it from the beginning. Having said, I don't think as many younger generation women today would be as accepting as they were in the late '70's early '80's.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I'm getting an 02 wideband bung welded on too - no room pre cats alas - but what side do we think is better?
Personally I think it should be on the passenger's side as cylinder 7 has traditionally been the leanest cylinder in an LS.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the O2 sensor needs to be before the cat

The O2 sensors post cat just check to make sure the cat is working

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the O2 sensor needs to be before the cat

The O2 sensors post cat just check to make sure the cat is working