Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

exhaust cutouts

livn_da_holden_life

...and lovin it
Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT S-Pack Manual
haha crazy... wont be long and everything we do to our cars will be illegal. the joys of living in the police state lol

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
illegal i dont know, but why not have a valved Y piece after the cat, running dual exhausts, one say standard, and the one performance (larger).. i wouldnt think that would be illegal coz your not venting into the atmosphere.. you could go from quiet to rumble at the flick of a switch.

Skooby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
I have a brand new set of dual 2.5" cutouts for sale made by BADLANZHPE, billet, very good quality. In Sydney $350 - including switch, all wiring, Y Pipe, cutouts etc - straight bolt up onto car.

-Michael-

Ooh Yeah.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Pack
I just unbolted the rest of the exhaust from the cat converter on the VT and fark was that loud.

Just re do the 2 bolts and it's all quiet again :)

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
illegal i dont know, but why not have a valved Y piece after the cat, running dual exhausts, one say standard, and the one performance (larger).. i wouldnt think that would be illegal coz your not venting into the atmosphere.. you could go from quiet to rumble at the flick of a switch.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but would this be possible?

I like the idea of having 2 exhaust systems... one super quiet, one loud but still street legal. So during normally driving/long distance, its nice and quiet... but when having a bit of fun it sounds awesome....

Cheers

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Yeah, anything's possible for a price. Those butterfly tend to get a bit a bit slack with age though, and don't seal or open properly. I've known a couple of blokes who run them, and they're rubbish after a year.

FuzzY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 5lt
i have these on my VT 5lt and they are terrific, great for the drags as i have a stock exhuast cat back system, with the helmet on your cant really hear your engine very well so with them open its great and sounds like a drag car lol...

they are 2.5inch electronically controlled from the cabin, i have pacey tri-y extractors and 3inch high flow cats with standered cat back

i hardly use em on the street (even tho my mates beg me to open them up) but one day on highway a guy was driving on his mobile phone in his mazda thing with the roof down, so i opened them and floored it past him. it was great.

as far as the law goes ive never had any trouble, as they are a bolt on, you could make up a solid flange so if you get dicked for having them you could remove the controlled butterfly and replace it with the solid flange to block it, in theory in should pass

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover

The problem is that the exhaust has to be the same size from the outlet of the manifold or extractor, having the split after the cat will kill it, as the larger exhaust would actually have more back pressure than the smaller one. You have a volume of gas taking up so much space, as soon as it goes into a larger area it slows down, causing the exhaust pulses behind it to bank up and then try and "push" the exhaust out, rather than the exhaust velocity dragging it out.