Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

exhaust cutouts

VLDavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
lc torana. vn v8. ke30.mazda 1300.
how loud is it??? cos these ones are before the cat. which exhaust setup are you running?

without it capped its pretty damn loud ..

im running extractors into twin highflow cats into twin 3 inch into a single lukey muffler into a 3 and half inch out the back..

the cutouts just at the muffler and dumps to the ground... it gets annoying coz its to loud to drive around without it plugged ..

cut outs before the cats would be pretty defening for a street car lol... just like running open headers nearly lol

livn_da_holden_life

...and lovin it
Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT S-Pack Manual
sounds sweet lol. i took my cat back off and the exhaust sounds like a v8 with straight throught pipes no mufflers. pretty loud made the neighbours want to kill me especially when i went thrashing around the nieghbourhood lol. =) fun

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
Same principle as a cat when running dedicated LPG. Just because the cats are not needed with LPG, you still have to have them fitted because potentially you can still run the car on petrol. With the cutouts, even though they are flanged, you can still flick a switch making the car exceed legal noise levels.

And youl have to burn your hands undoing the flange on the end of the cut out before flicking the switch :bang: There only good for the track but its not hard to just drop the whole exhaust anyway. Honestly youl be insane to use them on any street. Its just too loud. The power gain wouldnt justify getting caught with them.

livn_da_holden_life

...and lovin it
Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT S-Pack Manual
true. i just got sucked in by the novelty of it lol. would be so much fun when a ricer or some**** box pulls up and starts revving...then you open the cutouts and watch them flee hahah. im thinkin of having another exhaust line installed as a straight thru maybe, controlled by cutouts. but this is futher down the track, and when i actually hit the drags lol. thanks for your input guys :)

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
these come standard on the latest corvettes, wired into the PCM so they open at full noise :yeah: i might consider one later on for strip/track work for a laugh but just the bolt on/off style.

These will be on the HSV W427's :)

sedate looking

Reaction score
Website
uniqueridez.net
Members Ride
VR 5.0L Caprice.
Jeeez.. This brings back memories.. A lot of years ago there was a cast iron "bypass " valve on the market. Went in line with your exhaust, pull a cable and it would open the butterfly to vent to full atmosphere... The only problem with these was the build up of carbon, that after only a short time would allow the system to leak.. And in so doing, would sound like crap..

Cast iron "Mr Gasket" System..
412TZ5XJSSL_AA280_.jpg

The new generation systems are fully remote controlled from the cabin, but are built into the muffler . This is a sure fire way of hiding those leaks, as it is still sealed in the exhaust system.. I have heard these in real life, and i was mildly impressed.. Just by pressing a button, you have an open pipe , or closed...

The one i heard was an X-FORCE system, link below is from Ignition when they tested one...
YouTube - Varex remote control muffler.

Last edited:

livn_da_holden_life

...and lovin it
Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT S-Pack Manual
haha ive seen them used before heaps. i know this thread sorta ended a while back, but just wanted to warn people to stay away from the badlandz ebay cutouts. my mate chucked them on his au and after 3weeks he got them taken off. suprise was, the whole butterfly valve had warped and wasnt sealing properly :S. but yeah varex mufflers, heard everything good about them...

Holden V8 SS Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VN Track Car
The Holden Stormriders precision driving team used that setup of a side pipe and used 2 1/4inch for the sides. When performing shows they were unbolted and when they were street driving (refueling etc) they were capped. To give and idea on sound they rumbled the ground.