Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

exhaust cutouts

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Maybe in Adelaide.

livn_da_holden_life

...and lovin it
Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT S-Pack Manual
how do we find out if they're legal for sure? cos if they are ill be over the moon and back again lol.
1991_Vn2nV - ive got no idea. if they do then that could be an argument allowing us to run them?
Not_An_Abba_Fan - have you had any issues with yours with policemen?
Dan355 - im stoked to hear they're legal but what makes you so sure?? i mean that with no insults or attacks intended lol.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I don't have one. They are illegal in WA.

It is Dan355 that has them.

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
All good mate. Iv been through regency (Vehicle inspection). If there flanged and dont hang any lower than 100mm off the ground then theres no problem. I assume its the same for other states? It doenst break any ADR's, its basically abit of extra pipe thats flanged, no gas loss. So whats the problem? If you had them before the cats then id understand if they had a problem with them.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Same principle as a cat when running dedicated LPG. Just because the cats are not needed with LPG, you still have to have them fitted because potentially you can still run the car on petrol. With the cutouts, even though they are flanged, you can still flick a switch making the car exceed legal noise levels.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
But on the opposite side of the argument many things are illegal to USE, but legal to HAVE.

i.e. DVD players, neons, etc.

So which category does it come under? The cats for LPG equipped cars is different because its a requirement of what the car MUST have.. Not about what it CANT have.

There is always the argument that it is installed for off-road use only. Unless you are caught using it... It is not illegal.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Very true. WA is a bit like "You can't have it even if you aren't using it". Some laws are more relaxed than other states, but then some are ridiculously harsher.

livn_da_holden_life

...and lovin it
Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT S-Pack Manual
All good mate. Iv been through regency (Vehicle inspection). If there flanged and dont hang any lower than 100mm off the ground then theres no problem. I assume its the same for other states? It doenst break any ADR's, its basically abit of extra pipe thats flanged, no gas loss. So whats the problem? If you had them before the cats then id understand if they had a problem with them.

that seems really plausible mate.. the only problem is even after the cat im pretty sure the exhaust decibels wont pass epa when you open up the valve. therefore putting you in the bad books with the police. this is so confusing lol i wish there was an easy way to find out for sure, but sadly i dont know any policeman and i'm definitely not pulling into a station with my car lol.

Same principle as a cat when running dedicated LPG. Just because the cats are not needed with LPG, you still have to have them fitted because potentially you can still run the car on petrol. With the cutouts, even though they are flanged, you can still flick a switch making the car exceed legal noise levels.

very valid point. thats what our friends the policemen are worried about. the "potential" that we could open it up and have an ridiculously loud exhaust. just like they don't want people having boost controllers cos they're able to dial more boost on demand. on top of that if its before the cat and not after, then we're breaching emissions too.

But on the opposite side of the argument many things are illegal to USE, but legal to HAVE.
i.e. DVD players, neons, etc.
So which category does it come under? The cats for LPG equipped cars is different because its a requirement of what the car MUST have.. Not about what it CANT have.
There is always the argument that it is installed for off-road use only. Unless you are caught using it... It is not illegal.

yep exactly, just like HID kits, and aftermarket ecu's. they're only illegal if you get caught using them. so having said that and your smart when you use them, but you get pulled over for something else, and they find the qtec you'd be screwed right? im sick of our laws. and im a p-plater so they're already targeting us pretty heavily in vic =[

livn_da_holden_life

...and lovin it
Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT S-Pack Manual
Very true. WA is a bit like "You can't have it even if you aren't using it". Some laws are more relaxed than other states, but then some are ridiculously harsher.

i think vic laws fall into that "ridiculously harsher" category lol

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
We had a salesman come over from Vic, apparently you don't need a licence to sell cars there or broker finance, over here you need a licence to scratch your arse.