Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust Note and Cold Air Intake

Jaz11

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 Ute
Hi all, Wanting some friendly advice, My car is a 2010 SV6 SIDI Ute and has a 2.5" Full exhaust with extractors and 4" tips and while it has a nice note when "giving it some" i was wondering if you have any tips to improve this even more and maybe give it a louder idle sound as when im parked it is pretty docile.

Am i right in saying a nice cold intake POD like (below) can improve the sound with an after market exhaust whilst also giving a little extra power and lower fuel usage?
K N 63 3071 VE AIR Charger KIT Cold AIR Intake CAI | eBay

Thanks in advance :spot on:

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
I seriously doubt it mate. Youre more likely to hear the exhaust less at idle and hear the intake instead.

Major Herbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
'10 Pontiac G8 Manual '10 VE SV6 Manual
Have a look at getting an OTR CAI, they make pretty sounds when revving around 3k.
I'd have to say the exhaust has sounded a little better since putting on my intake and getting it tuned.

Have a look at my thread on my car, the link is down the bottom or https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/my-sv6.233258

Last edited:

Jaz11

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 Ute
Thank Major, love the ride, what brand CAI did you go with and did you have to get a tune after fitting or just bolt on and go?

Major Herbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's an Xair intake, normally around the $600 mark with the optional MAF adapter. You need the MAF otherwise you'll get defected.
For any OTR intake you'll need a tune or it'll throw check engine lights at you for running to lean etc

How are you liking the 2.5" system?
I find my 2.25" Stainless system is pretty loud, the police look at me as it is so I can't imagine getting a bigger system.

Last edited:

Jaz11

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 Ute
dam, i was hoping for the cheapest option and a good tune will be $500+ alone, Any good bolt on options? i thought i read the Airhammer kits were great and just bolt on but i cant find anyone who sells them anymore. Airhammer kit: http://www.velocityauto.com.au/v2/proddetail.php?prod=v6ahkit

yeh the exhaust has a good sound, could be louder especially at idle but she not a blown V8 so what can you do haha

Major Herbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
dam, i was hoping for the cheapest option and a good tune will be $500+ alone, Any good bolt on options? i thought i read the Airhammer kits were great and just bolt on but i cant find anyone who sells them anymore

yeh the exhaust has a good sound, could be louder especially at idle but she not a blown V8 so what can you do haha

Don't worry about getting it now, save your money and get it.
The Airhammer and all those other kits sound horrible and don't give you anywhere near the same killer wasps that an OTR CAI can give you.

I spent close to $1000 trying different CAI's and didn't like them at all. I've had three different intakes before the Xair one and I ended up going back to a the stock airbox with a K&N Filter.

Jaz11

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 Ute
ok thanks, dunno if i can spend big money on the OTR and tune, im heading to Europe in July so cheapish is best haha

Major Herbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok thanks, dunno if i can spend big money on the OTR and tune, im heading to Europe in July so cheapish is best haha

That dodgy looking ebay one is $500+ when you include shipping that doesn't even include installation and can get you defected for not being enclosed (Unsafe)
Looking at my receipts, the Xair one I got was meant to be $560 (got it for free) so you're looking at it being better and only an extra little bit of cash. The only problem is getting it tuned afterwards.

Mace (Forum sponsor) do it for pretty cheap. On their website it's like $1200 for an ORSSOM OTR as well as a tune which can be done by you at home.

Last edited: