Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust nut snapped off on flange HELP!!!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The bolt should have been slashed off and a replacement fitted. It's as simple as that. Had he listened to me he would have been on the road already.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Nope. Went to Bunnings. Bought a hack saw and a a few types of hand saws. With a chisel and Hammer. First tried the chisel. There's not enough room to get a good hit with a hammer under there and the jack stands are as high as they go. The chisel only put dents in the surface. I've been currently trying to saw the bolt and I've only put a notch in it. It's been an hour of that. Starting to panic

Did you buy a steel chisel or a wood one?
You should've bought the grinder instead of the hacksaw, grinders kill everything.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The bolt should have been slashed off and a replacement fitted. It's as simple as that. Had he listened to me he would have been on the road already.

I said to try a chisel first, I never said to go and buy one, if you don't have tools use what you have.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
his jack stands can't go high enough.
I used to just get more bricks, lumps of wood whatever it took to get the vehicle high enough.

I remember in the 70's hitchhiking to Perth from NSW.
Got picked up in Ceduna? by a couple of guys in aFB ute, heading for Perth.
Somewhere along the track (it was all sealed) the gearbox decided it had had enough & wanted another one. Picked up one for $10.00.
Got some tools from the harware shop, can't remember the price.

Went looking for a place to change the box out. The owner of the car ended picking out a spot out of Norseman. There was a ton of bricks there (& nothing else). We made 2 ramps with those bricks. Drove the car up on the bricks & about 5 hours later backed of the bricks & continued our journey to Perth.

That was the first story of bricks & working on cars. There's a few more l could tell, but won't bother! ;) :) :cool:
Have fun!

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I thought AD didn't have a chisel, nor a grinder so he was going to buy a grinder?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Will leave it right there

Yea and I still stand by my comment of trying not to cut the bolt, it's funny how you cherry pick stuff.
I suggested him to use a chisel to losses the nut up. But later we discovered he didn't have a chisel, nor a grinder nor a hacksaw.

Now I assume he has cut the bolt with a grinder, now he will discover how hard it is to find one.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yea and I still stand by my comment of trying not to cut the bolt, it's funny how you cherry pick stuff.
I suggested him to use a chisel to losses the nut up. But later we discovered he didn't have a chisel, nor a grinder nor a hacksaw.

Now I assume he has cut the bolt with a grinder, now he will discover how hard it is to find one.

Real hard to find a bolt.....Wreckers are full of this era Commodore.

A quick ebay search found half a dozen. I posted a link to prove it

Won't get into gumtree and facebook marketplace for finding this stuff....

So yup real hard....:rolleyes:

You really need to get into the real world, not the fantasy stuff you're currently in

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Real hard to find a bolt.....Wreckers are full of this era Commodore.

A quick ebay search found half a dozen. I posted a link to prove it

Won't get into gumtree and facebook marketplace for finding this stuff....

So yup real hard....:rolleyes:

You really need to get into the real world, not the fantasy stuff you're currently in

Please show a link to a bolt that is available. Instead of just gum flapping, please I would love to see this bolt for sale.