Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

exhaust size for cammed v6

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
so in the next week or so im doing the timing chains n cams n a cpr6 on my alloytec. ive already done a heap of other things including the exhaust. but heres the problem, ive got a 2.25" exhaust. for a stock v6 engine this should be fine, but once ive done a cpr6, and cams and another tune, should this be enough?
ive got 1 5/8 headers, 100 cell cats, and a 2.25" catback with mufflers and resonators.
im thinking it might be enough because its a v6, but im not too sure, also the cats are 2.25" aswell so id have to get new ones too.
just wondering what people reckon.
cheers

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Is this an SV6?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Does it already have the twin system?

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
Does it already have the twin system?
Yeah bro it has a engine back exhaust but not sure if 2.25” is enough. Don’t wanna blow more money on a 2 1/2” if I shouldn’t have too.
I’ve seen v8 commies run 2.5” just fine and that would have a lot more air coming in and out.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
Cammed, you’re going to get an extra 15kW or so. The same dual exhaust on V6 was also used on 6ltr V8. It’s going to be fine.
okay sweet as then, also only 15kw? on my last tune when i had a full exhaust, 12mm manifold spacer, k&n air filter n diff gears, i got 155rwkw.
with the cams n cpr6 and a good tune how much do you reckon i could make? from the power claims cams n the cpr6 say they make i was hoping for around 200rwkw.
is that pretty unrealistic you reckon?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
That’s the deal with the Alloytec. You can drop $4k on them and make an extra 30kW at best.

Drop $4k on an LS and get waaaay more bang for your buck.

Consider a twin turbo set up and a motor built for it and you’ll be on the way. However for that money, which would be around $20k, you can start weighing up a semi built LS and get similar power almost out of the box.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
That’s the deal with the Alloytec. You can drop $4k on them and make an extra 30kW at best.

Drop $4k on an LS and get waaaay more bang for your buck.

Consider a twin turbo set up and a motor built for it and you’ll be on the way. However for that money, which would be around $20k, you can start weighing up a semi built LS and get similar power almost out of the box.
yeah thats the annoying thing about na v6's. after these mods its probably gonna be the end of it performance wise, cant really do much else anyway. might look into suspension, brakes and all that good stuff.
been looking at an old thread about mace cams just too see what most people are getting.
ive found that'll ill definitely need a good tune though.
but yeah in the future ill be looking at building an ls and swapping it into a vs or vk maybe. still a few years away though

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
ive found that'll ill definitely need a good tune though.
Yep, and finding a tuner will be your next hurdle. They are a bastard to tune and few tuners will touch them because of that.