Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

performance mods for an alloytec, cams maybe?

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
gday, just seeing what other people reckon on what i should do, im trying to get a bit more performance from my sv6, cause with all the mods ive done it just dosent feel as fast as i reckon it should be. right now ive done full exhaust system, diff ratio change and worm drive lsd, manifold spacers, k&n air filter, underdrive pulley, and a tune. its pulled 155kw atw on the dyno, that was before a few small mods though.
but from what ive read, other then that theres not really much else i can do performance wise without getting into the turbo/supercharger scene which i cant cause im on my p's, and that would be dumb anyway. i plan on keeping the car for a while cause ill be on my p's for the next 3 years so no v8's, and cant have more then one car at my house either.
theres only 2 things ive seen that i can do which will give it a fair bit more performance, nothing major, but its the cpr6 manifold, and cams. the manifold costs about 2k and i dont know if i really want to spend that much for about 20kw, id have to look into it more, and then theres cams. im a p plate in qld so its kinda out of the question if i get pulled over for it, i can just say its a ghost cam, just a thought. from what ive seen it dosent look too hard to do, just it being dual overhead cams and 3 timing chains makes it seem hard.
i know people are probably gonna say to save for a v8 and leave it where its at but i just want a bit more out of it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Rev High do cam kits for these. Getting it tuned might will be tricky. You will need someone who is confident with the V6.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
Rev High do cam kits for these. Getting it tuned might will be tricky. You will need someone who is confident with the V6.
yeah true, i was looking at the mace engineering ones there about 800, ill have a look at the revhigh ones though, and yeah i got it tuned at powertourqe in brendale, but they mainly do v8's. but ive seen somewhere that once its been tuned once, a retune is alot cheaper, not sure if i go to a different place if thatll be different. but i want to try and do the cams myself cause i like giving everything a crack. so far everything thats been done on my car ive done myself, besides the tune lol.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
How do you think your going to hide mods from the cop when you're P plater? Lots of highway cops love cars they will know.
What did all your boy racer mods achieve if you timed 0-100 from a standing start same piece of road? You aren't racing you're on the road you are wasting you're money. Spend the money on the brakes suspension and tyres if you all ready have start saving for your next car.

Last edited:

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Mate you are on your P's. Holden endowed your SV6 with 210kw. Learn how to drive & survive 1st before you either lose your licence and your car, or kill yourself and become another P plate statistic.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I agree with the guys above. You are wasting your money. You won't get the kind of acceleration you dream of unless you turbo it full stop. You just won't.
Cam install is a big job and involves removing timing chains. A LOT of people including mechanics kill these motors by stuffing up timing chain jobs. Or they fail within a few months after.
I don't know about the cpr6 manifold. Does it really give you 20kw ?? If it does that is the cheapest easiest horsepower you will ever get from your engine.
1 hour install time and drive away.
What shocks and suspension setup are you using? If it's still standard original crap you are wasting your time doing any more engine work.