Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhausts?? What to get?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I have a gtech, my car has run 5.3's to 60 mph and also gained 30 rwhp through different exhaust setups on a standard engine. Sure it's a 304 but the theory is the same. I've gone from 9.4 1/8th miles on the standard exhaust, to 9.2 on a 2.5 inch cat back, to 9.0 on long headers into twin cats into 2.5 single. To..... who knows but +15rwhp on a full dual system that finally has let the headers to there job and is by far the biggest gain I've have had from any of those systems, I know exactly what gains came from what system (it's had 4 different exhaust setups on it so far) and I have no doubt it's still alot quicker straight out of the headers (which are 38 inches long with 8 inch collectors).

You can do the same on the V6, but you need good headers first a good merge to help scavange the collectors and then whatever gets it out to atmospheric pressure with the least restriction possible. The point I was trying to make is that all your gains on the exhaust are from the header/collector and your merge after that nothing matters so long as it has the least restriction possible. All race exhausts end at that point

StormVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Storm Ute
I have a 2003 VY Storm Ute. At the moment it has a stock exhaust system (single cat running one pipe through two mufflers).

I was going to just cut out the end muffler and put it straight through (or a resi depending on what would sound better), but the piping from the cat-back has some rust on it so figured I should replace it. I don't want to spend much as I only want the sound and can't afford extractors and a new cat.

A Redback system would be nice but I can't justify the cost just for some sound. Would it be possible to install a 2nd hand SS setup (most of the ones Ive seen are dual pipes)? I dont want to install hotdogs as I would prefer to not look like a d!ckhead.

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
Yes the SS set up fits but you need to get the twin cats to suit. Zeussy has done this mod. Should PM him.

StormVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Storm Ute
I ended up taking out the rear muffler and putting a pipe there instead. Cost $100 at the local exhaust shop. Now sounds a little more like it looks.

Thanks to the straight up talk above me I realised I was never going to get a power increase with a cat-back so what's the point.

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
What type of exhaust do you suggest Holdencommodorevp? and how much would this magic exhaust cost, and why would you bother on a stock standard V6, a 2.5 system is high flow, a straight through muffer, it will still gain power but not much, even extractors on a v6 doesnt do much either, at the end of the day there is only so much you can do to a v6 and paying out the ass for **** you dont need is pointless, a 2.5inch exhaust can flow 150rwkw dunno how meny N/A V6 buicks out there with that.

V

VP CALIBER

So, I'm looking at getting a brand new exhaust to replace my shitty old standard one on my V6 Vn Calais... Now I dont want something REALLY LOUD.. but not quiet either, something that will turn heads and still make an amazing tune.

I've had a quick talk to the local Rev 'eds and the best suggestion of come up with so far is: a 2 1/2 inch pipe from CAT back with one muffler and 1 hot dog with a chromed tip.. which should cost between $300-$400 from dynoflo in dubbo..

any suggestions would be great.
so u what ya car to sound like a wet fart ya not looking for performance just sound so do as u like or what the exhaust place offer on the cheap they get a lot of people girls in that just wanna get there car 2 sound nice well so called half loud not to loud just loud enough for people to tern and look at them so u could say i wonna get a half loud one that sounds nice lol but not to loud ummm you could say like a wet fart sorry m8 do as the exhaust place points out good luck on the change over
:thumbsup: