Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Extractors and cats... *UPDATE Pg 6 Dyno Results

bungsai

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS-VZ Ute
Thanks Mikey for the thread, I signed up just because this has me interested now, thanks to you and NAAF. Especially with the additional $100 off on offer.

Any comments on the performance aspects of things?

The initial aim was to go the OTR + Tune from VCM as I'm in Melbourne, but thought it might be worth doing the exhaust and headers first, before the tune and this set up seems like great bang for buck. Not particularly interested in a loud exhaust, but definitely after some performance gains.

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
As for power, I can feel it revs abit better up top. No noticeable gain in torque in my opinion down low. This is how it feels to me, not dyno proven...

A good free flowing exhaust is the foundation for getting more power though. Exhaust on its own isn't much more power, but exhaust, OTR and mafless tune... Go from your standard 200kw ish at the wheels to 260+kw at the wheels...

I guess an exhaust is required to get the most out of any performance upgrade. Whether you want a basic tune, cam, or supercharger, it's always going to be better with a good quality full aftermarket exhaust.

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
Good to know there are 4 ppl incl me and my boss invloved so far. Mikey, the vid is great mate. We are thrilled for you and appreciate the effort you have gone too for everyone. For us, I think we are looking for a deeper note as it sounded a bit raspy for our liking up top (totally individual subjectiveness again). There's a vid on you tube from a few years back of a green sedan with a 3inch cat back that sounded pretty deep. NAAF, if we went the 3" cats and exhaust, would it be deeper and would going the mid muffler keep it nice without being to loud?? I'm not sure what to do now....iS the mid muffler straight through as well? The loudness on yours Mikey seemed fine.

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
Considering you didn't pay $2360 ;) ...I think you got a pretty good deal anyway lol

I'm not even sure what I did pay all up? Haha

Good to know there are 4 ppl incl me and my boss invloved so far. Mikey, the vid is great mate. We are thrilled for you and appreciate the effort you have gone too for everyone. For us, I think we are looking for a deeper note as it sounded a bit raspy for our liking up top (totally individual subjectiveness again). There's a vid on you tube from a few years back of a green sedan with a 3inch cat back that sounded pretty deep. NAAF, if we went the 3" cats and exhaust, would it be deeper and would going the mid muffler keep it nice without being to loud?? I'm not sure what to do now....iS the mid muffler straight through as well? The loudness on yours Mikey seemed fine.

Yeah I know what you mean about the raspy, does that about 5000rpm+ I think. Might stop abit once it carbons up. Keep in mind it definitly is abit deeper in person (at all rpms) than in the video.

I finally have something I am not 100% happy about with the system (but overall am still VERY happy). Hadn't noticed it until this morning, but the cats do hang abit lower than I would of liked. It's not horrible low thats for sure (I have 140mm clearance from the ground to the cats w/ standard suspension, could still lower the front 40mm and be legal), but I've seen cats tucked up abit better. The extractors and catback tuck up very nicely though.

I am also going to give the back face on the rear mufflers coat of high temp black paint. I think they stand out abit much and take away from the tips.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Personally, I wouldn't go 3", it is quite a bit louder, even with the centre muffler. The video doesn't really do it justice either, as mikey said, it is deeper than the video portrays.

Mikey, the cats shouldn't hang any lower than the flange on the extractors, try loosening the bolts a touch on each end of the cat section, then lift it up as high as it can go, then retighten. Do one side at a time so it doesn't affect the position of the rest of the exhaust.

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
Mikey, the cats shouldn't hang any lower than the flange on the extractors, try loosening the bolts a touch on each end of the cat section, then lift it up as high as it can go, then retighten. Do one side at a time so it doesn't affect the position of the rest of the exhaust.

Was thinking of trying to adjust it on the rubbers.

Thanks, I'll go do it now :D

helmotbros

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Personally, I wouldn't go 3", it is quite a bit louder, even with the centre muffler. The video doesn't really do it justice either, as mikey said, it is deeper than the video portrays.

How much louder is it? I understand its a bit like asking how long is a piece of string. I am looking to buy a 3" system soon (your current deal looks great but i was thinking 3 and staino). I want the 3 inch as i will be looking at going cam and possibly charged down the line but i dont like spending twice. I understand the 2.5 is more than enough for the stock motor though.

I want my ute to sound like the v8 that it is but im not a hoon and i dont like obnoxiously loud systems. So when you say 3" is loud are we talking unwanted attention loud? Cos if thats the case ill beleaning back towards 2.5" system.

Sorry for all the muddled info, i have been meaning to pm you NAAF but was waiting till i sold my old ute to fund the new zorst.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
How much louder is it? I understand its a bit like asking how long is a piece of string. I am looking to buy a 3" system soon (your current deal looks great but i was thinking 3 and staino). I want the 3 inch as i will be looking at going cam and possibly charged down the line but i dont like spending twice. I understand the 2.5 is more than enough for the stock motor though.

I want my ute to sound like the v8 that it is but im not a hoon and i dont like obnoxiously loud systems. So when you say 3" is loud are we talking unwanted attention loud? Cos if thats the case ill beleaning back towards 2.5" system.

Sorry for all the muddled info, i have been meaning to pm you NAAF but was waiting till i sold my old ute to fund the new zorst.

Exactly, how long IS a piece of string. When talking the 2 1/2" and 3" on the same car, IE fit a 2 1/2", then take it off and fit the 3", it will be deeper and louder. I don't know the exact dB difference, but a definite noticeable increase in noise. Not illegally loud if you use the muffler/hotdog combo on the front. I can still do a pretty good deal on the 3" stainless combo as well. Obviously, it won't be as cheap as other stainless polished systems, and that is the key word, it won't be as "cheap".