Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

factory door grommits' VT

jabsy1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
these things are rock solid.

how would one run new wire into the door through these suckers?

do they pop off?

i hate them!!

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
I just poked a hole in the grommet and fed them thru on my last car.

They should pop off, but im not sure on vt's, never dealt with them

DarkCrystal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim V6
Just installed components in all my doors in my VT... the grommets do just pop out, a couple i had to get a flathead to pop em' out.. then i carefully drilled a whole thru the plastic and threaded my speaker wires thru and popped em' back in... it dosen't hurt to swear loudly while doing this.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
It's not worth the trouble, leave the 30cm or so of stock wire, it's not going to affect your sound.

I had planned to do it a couple of years ago and spoke to a couple of guys who have won Australian titles in sound quality and they both still used stock wire into their doors.

jabsy1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
really? thats interesting man. you'd think you'd need a higher guage wire all the way through...

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Nope, no one gives enough credit to the stock speaker wire. Unless your feeding in about 200wrms all day long, I typically don't even bother replacing it at all myself. Unless requested.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Personally, I wouldn't run stock wire the whole length of the car, but from the kick panel to the speaker in the door is fine. I actually have 200Wrms to each of my front speakers and it sounds fine.

See here for a speaker wire calculator. I put in 200W, 1ft (30cm) long, 20ga wire (not sure what stock is but it can't be smaller than 20ga), and 4 ohm... It shows i'd have 198W instead of 200W, no one could even hear that :) If I change it to 16ga (which is standard aftermarket speaker wire), it shows 199.2W which isn't worth the effort of pulling the grommet apart.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Running 16ga for 8ft will give you 193.?? on paper. Under real conditions you will probably look at 190. Either way, you won't hear a 10watt difference either.

It really is upto the user. Some people prefer the knowledge of knowing. Others like it because they used pink speaker wire to show everybody others do it because they can hear the difference.

To that last group, there is a good reason, it's considered the placebo effect.

Shaneus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Where would retailers make there money if there was no "placebo" effect?

All these people with 4AWG running there 200W peak power amps, at $10 a meter. I laughed when my mate told me he paid that. and $3 p/m for remote wire.

Back on topic: Go the stock wiring, this way you save time and money