Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Factory L67 TwinCharged Plans

Bluewildangel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt II supercharged
hey guys

HoldenManDan is correct in the way its setup.
ok some details the car was an original super charged v6 it has a small cam and some headwork. I then converted to turbo removed the blower rotors and used the housing as my plenum. I then put the supercharger rotors back in and hooked it up. The pulley on it now is a 77mm pulley I think on my motor is around 10psi. and turbo(gt3582 with 1.06 housing) wastegate is running 6-7 psi
havnt really flogged it yet due to tune. I did a test for boost and got up to 15psi then backed off as I only have a 2 bar tune atm. and this is hardly breathing only the throttle to. so not sure what total boost is yet.

cheers

MAfless tuned by dicks electronics

Bluewildangel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt II supercharged
Oh i dont have any dyno sheets Dick's electronics doesnt use a dyno
but i did get a 13.0@113mph with a 2.4 sixty foot turbo with 12-15psi and a slight miss
original supercharged setup was 13.2@107mph 2.0 sixty foot

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Should be the best of both worlds there Owen. 60ft and top end you lucky fella

warrjon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Jaguar XJS V12 & VXII Super6 Calais
Wow cool thread lots of great info in here!
I have a twin charged vt l67 I just got it running a couple of days ago

You lucky lucky ba#$rd

with 10psi pulley and 6-7 on the TC i recon somewhere around 19-20 total, it will be interesting to see how you go when you get it tuned.

keep us posted as you go :D:thumbsup:

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
Oh i dont have any dyno sheets Dick's electronics doesnt use a dyno
but i did get a 13.0@113mph with a 2.4 sixty foot turbo with 12-15psi and a slight miss
original supercharged setup was 13.2@107mph 2.0 sixty foot

sounds like there's a LOT more to gain with a proper tune mate :) - but jumping up 5mph is quite impressive, especially for something not tuned - so you're on the right track!!

Reason I say this is the turbo you're running should be capable of a 120-130mph pass on that motor, when pushed pretty hard (depending on car weight etc), in a stand-alone turbo setup. (look at the VS ute ETA-355, ran 10.88 @ 124mph with a (stock?) ecotec + gt35 with 1.06 rear on just under 20psi, if memory serves me correctly!!)

So I think a day on the dyno in the hands of a good tuner would truly unleash the car's potential!

Would be great to see a log of the boost levels pre/post blower, and a log of exhaust pressure too - and how the car responds to getting the boost wound up/down :p

Anyway - what concerns me a bit is you say the waste gate is set at 6-7psi, the blower is running 10psi, and you're seeing 15psi??

just some quick questions to make sense of this

1) are you running the xr6t spec rear with internal gate?
2) if YES to #1, is it a stock actuator?
3) where are you measuring the *total* boost from? - under the blower?
4) Where is your wastegate boost reference line hooked up to? - same place as #3?

Last edited:

Bluewildangel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt II supercharged
Don't get me wrong the turbo setup is tuned. Dick is a great tuner HE tuned danes 11 sec l67
anyway don't be concerned about the boost I was controlling the boost with my right foot and didn't want it to go OVER 15psi due to having a 2 bar map sensor. Dick rang me and he has the 3 bar program ready so I will be seeing him soon and see what happens.
He advised me to tap the LIM and put the air temp sensor there. I know that the turbo produces around 49* intake temp at 15psi so will be good to see how high it jumps with the blower hooked up.

Iam running the gt3582r with external gate not the ford one
total boost is from the LIM so yes
wastegate is from the lim as well

Its pretty much a stock l67 with a turbo bolted on

Bluewildangel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt II supercharged
If you want photos of specific things give me a yell

cheers

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
Don't get me wrong the turbo setup is tuned. Dick is a great tuner HE tuned danes 11 sec l67
anyway don't be concerned about the boost I was controlling the boost with my right foot and didn't want it to go OVER 15psi due to having a 2 bar map sensor. Dick rang me and he has the 3 bar program ready so I will be seeing him soon and see what happens.
He advised me to tap the LIM and put the air temp sensor there. I know that the turbo produces around 49* intake temp at 15psi so will be good to see how high it jumps with the blower hooked up.

Iam running the gt3582r with external gate not the ford one
total boost is from the LIM so yes
wastegate is from the lim as well

Its pretty much a stock l67 with a turbo bolted on

I'm not stressed about the boost level you run :) - just wondering why your boost is skyrocketting and you have to control it with the right foot?

in theory* if your wastegate is running a 6-7psi spring, the gate should be basically OPEN right away, since your supercharger is producing approx 10psi, right?

so as soon as you get on the gas, the charger is making positive pressure in the LIM - then that positive pressure should blow open the wastegate, because the spring only has a 6-7psi rating, and in a perfect world, the exhaust gas should vent enough from the wastegate to stop the turbo spooling at all.

What *could* be happening in your setup, is that the gate isn't big enough to let through all the exhaust gas, and whatever can't flow through the gate, spools the turbo... despite the gate being completely open - hence why you could be seeing a rapid climb in boost (becaus ethe turbo spools up a little, supercharger compounds and presto - insta big boost!)

Out of curiosity, how big is your wastegate?

will be interesting to see what happens with a 15psi wastegate spring, and a 10psi blower pulley. (i.e. whether you are able to keep the boost stable at what you want it, or whether you need to go a bigger gate, a smaller pulley, or bigger rear on the turbo.... - or a combination of all 3)

ultimately, in your setup - your total intake manifold boost should be exactly what you set your wastegate spring to. (so long as the gate spring is higher than the supercharger pressure)

Anyway mate, good work and great reading about the results - keep us updated, especially as to what happens when you up the wastegate spring pressure. :) - also if you can jot down how much timing you're running at full boost through the rev range, that'd be great for reference in this thread!

Bluewildangel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt II supercharged
Ah I see what you mean.
This stuff can get confusing quick aye :)
I cant explain the boost all I know is I had the turbo at full boost 6-7psi
I then added the blower with a 10psi pulley so I cant explain it.
The wastegate is 38mm job

warrjon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Jaguar XJS V12 & VXII Super6 Calais
Ah I see what you mean.
This stuff can get confusing quick aye :)
I cant explain the boost all I know is I had the turbo at full boost 6-7psi
I then added the blower with a 10psi pulley so I cant explain it.
The wastegate is 38mm job

I suspect this is the compounding effect of the SC. If your wastegate is connected prior to the SC ie the TC is running 6psi and the SC is then compressing this further and the compound LIM boost will be 20psi.

If your wastegate is connected to the LIM and is set with a 6psi spring it should be completely open if it is then maybe the wastegate is too small. I had this problem in my VL where the boost would creep. Remember even if the WG is completely open the TC will still spin and crreate a very small amount of boost even if the TC is making 3psi in theory you will see 15psi plus in the LIM.

Do you know what RPM the TC is spooled up?? this will be very interesting