Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Failed lifter or something else?

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
Hi guys

Just today when driving to my parent's house (45km) i noticed car was making a very loud whinying noise when I arrived, seem to be coming from the passenger top side of the engine (near the water pump and alternator), inside the cabinet it sounded like I had the fan/AC on max (was off)

Drove it around like that for about 100km as I had other stuff to do and later on when I parked it up I notice that it was also making this rattling sound, sounds like a loose rock/metal piece flying around (Sound appears to be coming from the top side passenger side), I didn't notice this sound before hand.

Failed lifters? My 25 year old RB25det randomly makes a similar noise but only once in a blue moon and for a few seconds.

Sounds alot pronounced with the engine cover off

Car is a 16 VF SSV redline with about 62k kms, car appears to drive fine.

Before I take it back to the stealer, who recently replaced my injectors (warranty till November) i thought I might ask here for some advice 1st

Cheers

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
I had a VY LS1 with stuffed lifters and it didn't sound anything like that. It was a very distinct continual ticking sound. Increased with the revs.

Doesn't sound good. Glad you've still got warranty.

Hows the harmonic balancer look?

Last edited:

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Not too sure if this is the issue (hard to tell without actually opening the engine up, but maybe it could be due to this recall not being done:

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/warning-ls3-recall-about-to-happen.268361/

I'm assuming yours have already been done, considering you said you've been to the dealership regarding injectors already, i would assume you've had these replaced. But maybe not.

Edit: From what i've researched, it may have been only 2017 LS3's, even though the original thread stated ALL LS3 engines. So yours may not have needed it done.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
My lifter/cam issue sounded nothing like that either. Mine also was a definite ticking noise. but there's something not pretty happening there, like metal on metal that shouldn't be

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I would pull out the longass screw driver and put it to my ear and probe around the engine to try and locate the source of the noise.

Sometimes it can be as simple as a pulley bearing that is shagged.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Sometimes it can be as simple as a pulley bearing that is shagged.

Easy way to tell, pull the belts and run it. I've heard a lot of different presentations for failed lifters, some are loud clatter type noises and some are metallic chirps similar to a drive belt noise.

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
Turned out to be a idler bearing (lower one), fixed under warranty.

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Turned out to be a idler bearing (lower one), fixed under warranty.
Thanks for the follow-up with diagnosis & solution Mayuri. Helps other members identify failing idler pulley bearings in the future. :)

Last edited:

SS Flo Rida

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SS W375
Hi guys

Just today when driving to my parent's house (45km) i noticed car was making a very loud whinying noise when I arrived, seem to be coming from the passenger top side of the engine (near the water pump and alternator), inside the cabinet it sounded like I had the fan/AC on max (was off)

Drove it around like that for about 100km as I had other stuff to do and later on when I parked it up I notice that it was also making this rattling sound, sounds like a loose rock/metal piece flying around (Sound appears to be coming from the top side passenger side), I didn't notice this sound before hand.

Failed lifters? My 25 year old RB25det randomly makes a similar noise but only once in a blue moon and for a few seconds.

Sounds alot pronounced with the engine cover off

Car is a 16 VF SSV redline with about 62k kms, car appears to drive fine.

Before I take it back to the stealer, who recently replaced my injectors (warranty till November) i thought I might ask here for some advice 1st

Cheers

My LS3 vf series 2 had a lifter fail a few weeks ago. The roller that contacts the cam lobe seized and scrubbed the lobe. I had to replace the cam, lifters and did the valve springs while I was at it. Here’s a video of it with a failed lifter before it was fixed. The noise came and went for a few hundred kms before it became constant and loud.

Last edited:

Suami

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline

My LS3 vf series 2 had a lifter fail a few weeks ago. The roller that contacts the cam lobe seized and scrubbed the lobe. I had to replace the cam, lifters and did the valve springs while I was at it. Here’s a video of it with a failed lifter before it was fixed. The noise came and went for a few hundred kms before it became constant and loud.

Damn...mine sounds similar only not as “metally” as yours; mine currently has a distinct “tic tic tic tic”.....only 8500 kms on the clock....shits me to tears