Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Failed lifter or something else?

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Mayuri Krab, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Mayuri Krab

Mayuri Krab Member

Members Ride:
    VF series 2 SSV Redline, R33 Skyline GTS-T
    Hi guys

Just today when driving to my parent's house (45km) i noticed car was making a very loud whinying noise when I arrived, seem to be coming from the passenger top side of the engine (near the water pump and alternator), inside the cabinet it sounded like I had the fan/AC on max (was off)

Drove it around like that for about 100km as I had other stuff to do and later on when I parked it up I notice that it was also making this rattling sound, sounds like a loose rock/metal piece flying around (Sound appears to be coming from the top side passenger side), I didn't notice this sound before hand.

Failed lifters? My 25 year old RB25det randomly makes a similar noise but only once in a blue moon and for a few seconds.

Sounds alot pronounced with the engine cover off

Car is a 16 VF SSV redline with about 62k kms, car appears to drive fine.

Before I take it back to the stealer, who recently replaced my injectors (warranty till November) i thought I might ask here for some advice 1st

Cheers

2. Pablito

Pablito Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF Redline, VE SS
    I had a VY LS1 with stuffed lifters and it didn't sound anything like that. It was a very distinct continual ticking sound. Increased with the revs.

Doesn't sound good. Glad you've still got warranty.

Hows the harmonic balancer look?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  3. knighty92

knighty92 Member

Members Ride:
    SSV
    Not too sure if this is the issue (hard to tell without actually opening the engine up, but maybe it could be due to this recall not being done:

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/warning-ls3-recall-about-to-happen.268361/

I'm assuming yours have already been done, considering you said you've been to the dealership regarding injectors already, i would assume you've had these replaced. But maybe not.

Edit: From what i've researched, it may have been only 2017 LS3's, even though the original thread stated ALL LS3 engines. So yours may not have needed it done.

4. Voodoo_SV6

Voodoo_SV6 Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
    My lifter/cam issue sounded nothing like that either. Mine also was a definite ticking noise. but there's something not pretty happening there, like metal on metal that shouldn't be

5. stooge

stooge Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
    I would pull out the longass screw driver and put it to my ear and probe around the engine to try and locate the source of the noise.

Sometimes it can be as simple as a pulley bearing that is shagged.

Banjo79 and lmoengnr like this.
  6. Smashfist

Smashfist Active Member

Members Ride:
    440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
    Easy way to tell, pull the belts and run it. I've heard a lot of different presentations for failed lifters, some are loud clatter type noises and some are metallic chirps similar to a drive belt noise.

stooge likes this.
  7. Mayuri Krab

Mayuri Krab Member

Members Ride:
    VF series 2 SSV Redline, R33 Skyline GTS-T
    Turned out to be a idler bearing (lower one), fixed under warranty.

Fu Manchu, Milo 6.0, TTubrag and 5 others like this.
  8. TTubrag

TTubrag Active Member

Members Ride:
    2016 VFII SSV Redline
    Thanks for the follow-up with diagnosis & solution Mayuri. Helps other members identify failing idler pulley bearings in the future. :)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  9. SS Flo Rida

SS Flo Rida Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Series II SS W375
    My LS3 vf series 2 had a lifter fail a few weeks ago. The roller that contacts the cam lobe seized and scrubbed the lobe. I had to replace the cam, lifters and did the valve springs while I was at it. Here’s a video of it with a failed lifter before it was fixed. The noise came and went for a few hundred kms before it became constant and loud.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  10. Suami

Suami Member

Members Ride:
    2017 SSV Redline
    Damn...mine sounds similar only not as “metally” as yours; mine currently has a distinct “tic tic tic tic”.....only 8500 kms on the clock....shits me to tears

11. SS Flo Rida

SS Flo Rida Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Series II SS W375
    Ohh that sux. I posted a video so peeps could hear what a failed lifter sounds like. If the sound dies off when the engine revs past idle I’d suspect its a lifter. Mine was possibly more metallic because I have heavy dual value springs which hold the lifter harder against the cam lobe.

The ls3 lifters were supposed to be better than the l77 variety but It seems lately I’ve been hearing of a few failures. In saying that I cam swapped early and had done 85000kms since driving it like it was stolen so it wasn’t a big surprise when it happened.

You should hit the dealer up to fix it!

12. Suami

Suami Member

Members Ride:
    2017 SSV Redline
    Hell yeah the dealer will sort this out; still have 12 months of manufacturer warranty left. That’s the other thing; I have only put 1600kms on the clock.....she’s brand new. I suspect the dealers drove it like they stole it and didn’t run her in nicely

SS Flo Rida likes this.