Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fan speed switch working intermintently

bluecar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXECUTIVE WAGON
Thanks mate, the only problem is that the fuse is before the blower motor relay. It goes like this.. ingnition relay > fuse > blower relay > fan spd resistor > blower motor. Therefore if theres no power at the fuse the problem lies before it. The ignition relay is working so thats what stumps me. The only thing i can put it down to is a broken wire from ignition relay > fuse. Bluecar, sounds like you are in the same position as me, If i can fix next time i take the fuse board out to get behind it i'm going to hardwire it into somewhere else running off the ignition.

Yeah thought of doing a hard wire myself putting my own fuse in.

At the moment if the car is started with the blower on, it is coming back on a few seconds after starting.

The problem has to be (in my case anyway) the low current circuit part of the relay not coming back on on after the act of starting the car kills the circuit.

If yours is ever working, stop the car and leave the blower switch on.

Then it should be on with the ignition on accessories. Then start the car and if it then fails to come back on after the car starter motor has stopped using current, you can sort of start to see where the problem has to be.

Yours might be different if the blower is stop start whilst you are driving along. Mine is definitely linkrd to the breaking of the circuit when the starter motor is being used.

I actually suspect that swapping relays around has made the problem marginally better.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
The '1-2-3-4' switch, is what i refer to as the control box. Its really easy to get out, with a bit of practice you can get it out in under 5 mins.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
vn6pwr, if you have determined that the fault is a wire connecting the fuse and relay, and you have checked and there is no continuity, then make sure the wire on the back of the fuse socket and relay socket is nice and tight. You should be able to work out the colour if you have a manual and might be able to follow it a bit before it ties up in the loom.

bluecar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXECUTIVE WAGON
The '1-2-3-4' switch, is what i refer to as the control box. Its really easy to get out, with a bit of practice you can get it out in under 5 mins.

It's not the switch if you follow the thread right through, kopper. Thanks anyway for the further explanation.

And I would do it under 10 don't you worry about that.:)

Had a bit of practice by now.

The problem is as outlined above.

The current being drained from the circuit during starting and not being reinstated regularly.

The solution, perhaps a brand spaniking new ignition or blower relay or perhaps the sorting out of some ingrained problem to do with slow cranking and not exactly instantaneous cranking. You sort of hold the key on start for an instant before the cranking starts. Always been like that. Battery is good but.

cheers.

C

carla

yer iam suffering from the same problem.. tho my ac or demister or fan control work and i swear i have tried everything.. i think there is something funny from the battery to the first fuse.. unless there is a linkable fuse somewhere which i dont know about

Had the same issue with the VS, a/c, fan and demister where intermittent, found it to be the LP-Check relay? (In the relay/fuse box under the bonnet). Could wiggle it and the fan/demister would cut in or out, swapped it with identical one. Problem solved. Cheers

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Ok had a big day today trying to sort this problem out.... Since i know the ignition relay provides power to the heater blower motor fuse/relay, and if i tap power to the blower motor fuse it will work, I also know the ignition relay works. I started out by testing the terminals at the ignition relay, it had constant and ignition power....with that sorted i tested the wire that runs from the ignition relay to the blower motor fuse = no power!! so i thought it was that wire so to check it i bridges a wire from the constant contact to contact that the supply wire is on and suprisingly it worked. Immediatly the problem now points at the ignition relay's earth, so i grabbed out the wiring diagram and the ignition relay earth's out on warning lamp check relay as Carla suggested, i checked this relay and it is fine, but there is simply no power whatsoever at the contacts.....The funny thing is i still have the check lamps when i put it to ignition, at a closer look at the diagram, it only controls the brake failure check lamp, which i didnt have lighting up....but then i realised that it only lights up upon cranking but the lamp check relay is not getting the ignition signal from the ingnition relay's earth.. so this wire is broken somewhere and hence the reason why the ignition relay is not working. In turn the warning lamp check relay controls my rear demister so that doesnt work either. In the end i just cut and ran a new earth wire for the ignition relay as another temporary fix until so i have air-con for the time being. I'll probably get a sparky to run the new wire between the relays as that will be too much mucking around for me.

markc3012

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ss Commodore
I seem to have a similar problem, Speed 3, 4 works on fan switch, but 1, 2 does not.. This cannot be the fuse etc.. as it would either work or not..
Does the resistor control this???
Or would it be the fan swith in the dash???
Any help appreciatted???

markc3012

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ss Commodore

SlyVR

Fo'sizzle....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wags
thanks carla, i have tried that, replaced it and still not luck.
After many hours of trying to sort out the problem i have found the area which needs to be fixed. From the acutal fan switch itself to the fues underneath the steering wheel. something is missing.

i test the to see if there is power via (test light) to check power from the fuse area underneath the steering wheel. but is not making the switch active.

i know this is a strange one, but has anyone had this problem. It seemed to happen pretty much straight after i replaced my heatercore but i have checked and checked and checked all the wires and they seem fine... iam stuck on what to do next.

so if anyone please knows or has any ideas please post, ta

SlyVR

Had the same issue with the VS, a/c, fan and demister where intermittent, found it to be the LP-Check relay? (In the relay/fuse box under the bonnet). Could wiggle it and the fan/demister would cut in or out, swapped it with identical one. Problem solved. Cheers