Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Faulty VR horn

vrough

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE Omega Ute
I've recently bought a 93 VR executive and I am needing to run it through roadworthy soon but im having problems with my horn, it only seems to work when it wants to,
Anyone had this problem?
Also my electic mirrors won't work but im pretty sure the fuse in the control unit has blown, I am yet to touch the horn as i really don't know where to start. Any help?

jujibelly

ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
Replace the relay in the engine bay for the horn see if that solves the problem.
Visually inspect connectors on the horn for damage.
Last resort replace horn.

This is assuming that your steering wheel is original and the connections for the horn are not modified.

doigs8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VY 2 CALAIS
I've recently bought a 93 VR executive and I am needing to run it through roadworthy soon but im having problems with my horn, it only seems to work when it wants to,
Anyone had this problem?
Also my electic mirrors won't work but im pretty sure the fuse in the control unit has blown, I am yet to touch the horn as i really don't know where to start. Any help?

Could be that the spring loaded pin that makes contact with the brass slip ring behind the steering wheel is worn away. It happened to my car. Cant get them new anymore, but i got a good secondhand one.

vrough

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE Omega Ute
Hey thanks for the replys guys. I'll let you know how it goes. And yeah the steering wheel is all original from what know.

OzJD

Reaction score
Website
jeltel.com.au
Members Ride
2010 Holden Caprice V II (V8)
I have this in both my VR's... as for working when it wants to.... it's probably if you turn the wheel to a certain angle ;)
It's caused by bad contacts under the spring pin mentioned above

Jamie-b

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
yer i had the same problem with my vs's horn. I removed the wheel, cleaned the brass contacts then when i fitted it i done it up a bit tighter so the steering wheel contact was pulled closer into the contact on the steering column.. problem fixed!

Commydoor

born in the FB era
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Ss Blown
if your a cranky old shoddy mech like me then youd know the quick fix is to take off the wheel...clean up the top of the pin....get out the trusty soldering iron and iron on a spot of silver solder to the top of the pin....just a dob mind not mount vesuvius...back on with the wheel making sure its straight and bobs ya aunty....

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
if your a cranky old shoddy mech like me then youd know the quick fix is to take off the wheel...clean up the top of the pin....get out the trusty soldering iron and iron on a spot of silver solder to the top of the pin....just a dob mind not mount vesuvius...back on with the wheel making sure its straight and bobs ya aunty....

I've found it also helps to use a small section of an old radio aerial (they are brass) slipped over the pin to support the solder blob, then file the blob and bit of aerial flat and lube with Copaslip or similar.