Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Final verdict: 3.0L 6 speed VERSUS 3.6L 4 speed

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Originally - Eastern Suburbs - Melbourne, Currentl
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
At what speed do you overtake a b-double on a single lane highway?

If he's doing the speed limit (which most of the time they are, or are doing over the limit), I"ll happy follow him, I can't say that it's ever really come up considering there aren't all that many single lane roads with b-doubles on them where I drive, either way, if you can't safely overtake before hitting 110-120 you shouldn't be overtaking.

sv6 power

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Who would have guessed that a more powerful, yet smaller engine coupled to a newly developed imported gearbox replacing the outgoing tree trunk of a box that has been used since Holden were building saddles was better.

Certainly not me.

My annoying sarcasm aside, I'm still holding out to see what the longevity of the new drivetrain is. Ecotecs were good for 300,000km at least, lets see what the Alloytec can do first. My VT is at 467,000km. My VE is at 102,000km... so I'll talk to you in about 7-10 years.

I can't remember exactly were i read this thread on, this forum or another holden forum, but some professional camera guys that i think lived in Perth bought a 07 sv6 i think and were driving all around Australia and did around 600k-700k kms on it and it was still going with no problems. So i guess it comes down to how the driver takes care of the engine too.

Reaction score
Members Ride
9th Consecutive Commodore: VEII
If he's doing the speed limit (which most of the time they are, or are doing over the limit), I"ll happy follow him, I can't say that it's ever really come up considering there aren't all that many single lane roads with b-doubles on them where I drive, either way, if you can't safely overtake before hitting 110-120 you shouldn't be overtaking.

Over the limit? Heavy trucks aren't allowed to go faster than 100kmh and must have speed limiters fitted under ADR 65/00.

Conversely most interstate single lane highways have a 110 kmh limit.

Are you saying "most" trucks have tampered with their speed limiter?

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
Over the limit? Heavy trucks aren't allowed to go faster than 100kmh and must have speed limiters fitted under ADR 65/00.

Conversely most interstate single lane highways have a 110 kmh limit.

Are you saying "most" trucks have tampered with their speed limiter?

Way to change the subject because you were wrong.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
I can't remember exactly were i read this thread on, this forum or another holden forum, but some professional camera guys that i think lived in Perth bought a 07 sv6 i think and were driving all around Australia and did around 600k-700k kms on it and it was still going with no problems. So i guess it comes down to how the driver takes care of the engine too.

Excellent to hear, obviously from my VT you can tell, our family's cars get looked after. So fingers crossed :)

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
Reaction score
Members Ride
9th Consecutive Commodore: VEII
Way to crack the sh**s because I called you out for doing something illegal, no need to get on your rags.

Fair enough. I'm sure we probably both make the most appropriate manoeuvre under different particular circumstances.

Just yesterday I sat on 95, on a 110 road, for almost three hours watching queues of idiots take far too long to overtake trucks. Plenty were getting flashes and toots from cars coming in the opposite direction. In those cases they should have waited for a better moment then overtaken swiftly. I didn't want to get involved so I just hung back.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
No doubt its illegal, but on this one I have to say I prefer to get past as quickly as possible. On an overtaking lane, I will push it up to maybe 120, because I want to allow the other cars behind me to also have an opportunity to overtake whatever is in the slow lane. Of course, if nothing is going under the limit then I dont feel the need to overtake at all.

Stuck behind a B-double, going along a winding single lane highway at 70, first chance I get a safe shot at it I will overtake. Because its a winding single lane highway, my priority will not be the speed limit, it will be getting safely back onto the correct side of the road as soon as possible, for both my own and the truck drivers safety.

I cannot safely assume that any oncoming traffic is travelling at the speed limit, so what I think is a reasonable amount of distance I can see ahead is not necessarily so if someone crests the rise 1km ahead at 200kmh.

I believe it is safer to get past as quickly as possible, and return to my own side of the road as quickly as possible. I'd be happy to argue that in court too, although of course I would lose. Its a major flaw in road laws in my view.

I'm not advocating anyone else doing the same, but in this case I believe the law is wrong, and I wouldnt mind a chance to fight it in court some day, just on principle.