Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve SS AFM 6 speed auto.

jimbob84

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SS
Hi everyone, I'm at a bit of a loss here.
My VE SS AFM 6 speed auto is making a chattering sound when ideling down. Eg: approaching an intersection at low speed, it's pretty audible if I have the window down and only makes the noise while driving, won't do it in park while revving. Can anyone help please?

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
Only time I have heard a chattering, ratcheting sound from a AUTO transmission was when the torque converter was slipping due to low oil in the transmission. Now bare in mind I can't hear what your noise is but low oil is worth investigating.

jimbob84

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SS
Only time I have heard a chattering, ratcheting sound from a AUTO transmission was when the torque converter was slipping due to low oil in the transmission. Now bare in mind I can't hear what your noise is but low oil is worth investigating.
Thanks mate, funny you mention this because the last service it had they changed the auto trans fluid. Didn't make this noise prior to that, they probably didn't put enough in

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks mate, funny you mention this because the last service it had they changed the auto trans fluid. Didn't make this noise prior to that, they probably didn't put enough in
Quite possibly if they didn't have the vehicle running and going through the gears they could be a couple of litres short.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I've heard of a few places now that don't seem to have a clue how to fill the 6 speed to the correct level.

Reactions: Lex

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've heard of a few places now that don't seem to have a clue how to fill the 6 speed to the correct level.
I have heard that as well here in Adelaide.
It's a 2 man job as far as I am concerned with 1 in the drivers seat going through all gears and 1 pumping oil in and it is a messy job when you do it at home.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I have heard that as well here in Adelaide.
It's a 2 man job as far as I am concerned with 1 in the drivers seat going through all gears and 1 pumping oil in and it is a messy job when you do it at home.
I do it by myself. Not to messy at all.

I've got the 6L50 in a vt behind a 3.8.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
I do it by myself. Not to messy at all.

I've got the 6L50 in a vt behind a 3.8.
How?
Can't for the life of me work out how to do it by myself.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
How?
Can't for the life of me work out how to do it by myself.
Laptop sitting inside of car with a program hooked up to the obd2 gives me temperature for the trans. I then connect hdmi cable to a 32" old fhd tv monitor sitting on the ground in front of car. The car is on stands.

I keep my eye on temp. When it hits 50 degrees l stop. But usually have want l want to do finished by then.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
The temperature is not the issue for me.
It says to go through all gears while filling with oil until it comes out the drain.
Now I am lying on the ground pumping oil in while temp is being monitored and transmission being shifted as per service manual.........well lets just say oil comes out where I am and there is not a lot of room to work with a hot exhaust and pumping oil and it gets quite messy.
Still can't figure out how you are shifting the trans and filling by yourself but maybe I have read the manual wrong (would not be the first time)