Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve SS AFM 6 speed auto.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Still can't figure out how you are shifting the trans and filling by yourself
Put the oil in, get out from under car, into car, through the gears, back to under car, & pump some more.
If l have to turn motor off, l can come later.

Next time l do it, lf l remember l might take notice of the gear position from under car. I would only have to get back into car to brake to go back into park then? Should work?
Maybe safety wise, l'll just get into car for that operation. :)

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The temperature is not the issue for me.
It says to go through all gears while filling with oil until it comes out the drain.
Now I am lying on the ground pumping oil in while temp is being monitored and transmission being shifted as per service manual.........well lets just say oil comes out where I am and there is not a lot of room to work with a hot exhaust and pumping oil and it gets quite messy.
Still can't figure out how you are shifting the trans and filling by yourself but maybe I have read the manual wrong (would not be the first time)
You don't need to be filling it and shifting through the gears at the same time. Just fill it first, then go through the gears to get the fluid circulating and warmed up until the temp is between 30 and 50 according to the sticker on mine. Once it's warm pull out the drain/level plug and let any excess trickle out and plug it up again.
There's no point going through gears until it's full because you don't want to suck air into the trans.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
You don't need to be filling it and shifting through the gears at the same time. Just fill it first, then go through the gears to get the fluid circulating and warmed up until the temp is between 30 and 50 according to the sticker on mine. Once it's warm pull out the drain/level plug and let any excess trickle out and plug it up again.
There's no point going through gears until it's full because you don't want to suck air into the trans.
Well FUDGE me I must have interpreted what is written wrong then.
I was certain it said fill trans, warm up to 30C but don't go over 50C and pump oil in while watching for oil to come out.
Need to select each gear for 3 seconds while filling and vehicle running..
Not going to suck air in anyway as trans had oil it it and air would be pushed out the filler just like filling a tank.
Last time I put a dry trans in so torque convertor was empty and it took a lot of oil.
I will try it the other way next time :D

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Well FUDGE me I must have interpreted what is written wrong then.
I was certain it said fill trans, warm up to 30C but don't go over 50C and pump oil in while watching for oil to come out.
Need to select each gear for 3 seconds while filling and vehicle running..
Not going to suck air in anyway as trans had oil it it and air would be pushed out the filler just like filling a tank.
Last time I put a dry trans in so torque convertor was empty and it took a lot of oil.
I will try it the other way next time :D
Yes a dry trans would be a bit more work so explains all the pumping!

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon