Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

First start after cam change ls1

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport M6, Subaru Brumby-daily, TM Magna
checked it again just now, its on the full mark. there were some small bubbles on the dipstick my mech said its nothing to worry about coz ive had the engine apart. any ideas?

Aussiecv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro & VE SV6
Ok, so just we understand, is the noise still there? And is the oil level ok?

Sorrry I think I got a bit lost between the filled it up and I just checked it. If your worried about the oil pressure, check it with an external pressure guage. You should be able to connect the guage where the oil sender/ switch is. The oil pressure switch is right at the back of the engine in the middle, just look down and you will see it. you need a deep 27mm socket to remove and replace the switch. If you have oil and the pressure reads ok, The problem may just be the switch or sender unit. The guage will tell you if the pump is sus. Whatever you do don't drive the thing if you havent got oil pressure, as all you hard effort will be for naught. But I'm guessin your mechanic mate already told you that.

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
no noises anymore, sounds bit like a sewing machine but im told they all sound like that after a cam swap. no loud lifter noise anymore either and oil level is good. my mech forgot to bring home the oil pressure gauge again. hopefully he remembers it tomorrow night, im going to buy an electrical oil pressure gauge this weekend to give me piece of mind in the future, i need a 2" to fit under head unit, what would you recommend speco, saas or auto-meter there about twice the price.

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
just another thought, the old lifters had an oil hole which would face up or down when they were in place on cam, the new comp lifters have an oil hole which would face to the side when in place on the cam?

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
im thinking it could be the oil pick up o ring, it was a real bitch to get the pick up on because of the dr and when the car is facing downhill on a slope idling the oil pressure light doesnt come on, just how high does the oil level sit in the sump?

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
just another thought, the old lifters had an oil hole which would face up or down when they were in place on cam, the new comp lifters have an oil hole which would face to the side when in place on the cam?

Don't worry about this. This is just a slightly different design method for where the lifter is fed oil from. The main oil galleries still run from the front to the rear of the block to feed the lifters where their body is relieved in the centre and the oil will still find its way. Hopefully makes sense.

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
im thinking it could be the oil pick up o ring, it was a real bitch to get the pick up on because of the dr and when the car is facing downhill on a slope idling the oil pressure light doesnt come on, just how high does the oil level sit in the sump?

With the sump filled to the correct level, the pickup will always be submerged. So you've just had the pickup off yeah? If the O ring is not seated correctly then yes this can result in low oil pressure as the pickup will be allowed to suck air from where it bolts onto the base of the block, rather than the end of the pickup as it is supposed to. Effectively it will have less 'suck'. This is also why the pickup bolts should always go back with a little threadlocker in the event they may loosen with time.
Before you go pulling too much apart though i'd definitely be getting your bro in law to put the oil pressure gauge on it. As mentioned by others, the source of the oil light inconsistently coming on can be a faulty oil pressure sender/switch, giving the pcm false info. This is not that uncommon.

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
Don't worry about this. This is just a slightly different design method for where the lifter is fed oil from. The main oil galleries still run from the front to the rear of the block to feed the lifters where their body is relieved in the centre and the oil will still find its way. Hopefully makes sense.
ok just thought id check because i thought they gave me the wrong lifters.

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
With the sump filled to the correct level, the pickup will always be submerged. So you've just had the pickup off yeah? If the O ring is not seated correctly then yes this can result in low oil pressure as the pickup will be allowed to suck air from where it bolts onto the base of the block, rather than the end of the pickup as it is supposed to. Effectively it will have less 'suck'. This is also why the pickup bolts should always go back with a little threadlocker in the event they may loosen with time.
Before you go pulling too much apart though i'd definitely be getting your bro in law to put the oil pressure gauge on it. As mentioned by others, the source of the oil light inconsistently coming on can be a faulty oil pressure sender/switch, giving the pcm false info. This is not that uncommon.
Hopefully he brings it home tonight, im heading to autobarn today to grab an oil pressure gauge is it worth paying $125 for an autometer or speco just as good for $55? If the o ring was letting in air could this be why its only doing it at idle, as more revs would give the pump more suck. Also when its facing downhill where the pickup bolts to the sump could be submerged?

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Hopefully he brings it home tonight, im heading to autobarn today to grab an oil pressure gauge is it worth paying $125 for an autometer or speco just as good for $55? If the o ring was letting in air could this be why its only doing it at idle, as more revs would give the pump more suck. Also when its facing downhill where the pickup bolts to the sump could be submerged?

I've all autometer gauges in mine as a matched set, but in reality the speco is probably just as accurate. I guess part of the price you pay is just for the brand and the appearance of the gauge. Autometer is good gear though. Can't say i've ever heard anything particularly bad about the speco, so if you're happy with the way it looks and want to watch the budget etc, i'd probably go with it.
Oil pressure typically drops a little at idle. If the pickup were sucking air this would accentuate this. I wouldn't think the car angle should really change this.