Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting 20 inch rims in my ve?

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Whenever buying anything second hand, price is always a dead giveaway. If they're going at huge discount to current market value, rest assured the seller is trying to offload shyte. Some people like figjam have accumulated too much over the years & are just trying to get rid of it, but I think they're few & far between.

Reactions: Lex

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
I've just looked at the photos of these rims again and one of them has a bend on the outer lip, is this something I should be super worried about or is it more likely just a cosmetic thing and the wheel would function fine or is it probably more likely the guy has slammed it into a curb and could be fucked
Bent

Reactions: Lex

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Also, remember to be conscious that your speedometer reading will be inaccurate after you install the bigger rims.

I don’t know which way it would go towards. My guess is that the speedometer will read slower than the actual speed you are going, but I don’t know how much.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Also, remember to be conscious that your speedometer reading will be inaccurate after you install the bigger rims.

Not if you fit the correct size tyres......in this instance 245/35/20 for a 20x8 inch rim.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Not if you fit the correct size tyres......in this instance 245/35/20 for a 20x8 inch rim.
Oh is that right? I thought since the rim is physically bigger that the reading would be inaccurate

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Oh is that right? I thought since the rim is physically bigger that the reading would be inaccurate

Yes, the rim is bigger however the profile of the tyre is lower so the overall rolling diameter changes barely at all.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I've just looked at the photos of these rims again and one of them has a bend on the outer lip, is this something I should be super worried about or is it more likely just a cosmetic thing and the wheel would function fine or is it probably more likely the guy has slammed it into a curb and could be fucked

I have struck rims that have had this bend and been fine....I have also struck them being knackered too

Does it hold air? If it does, it should be fine...Just look horrible

Are they original 3 piece simmons? If so, outers can be bought

That can also be re-rolled...Shouldn't cost a great deal as it looks like the lip is bent up, rather than being bent up at the tyre bead seat...(holding air confirms that it's just the lip)

Leave the ball in your court

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I pay about $150-$180 to have a wheel repaired. I have two factory Monaro 18s I suspect may have buckles. I am getting those repaired at some point before I paint them. They had a bit of gutter rash, and it seems they buckle pretty easy.

I wouldn't bother getting them tested on a wheel balancer, as a tyre place will likely say they are ok, whereas a wheel repairer will tell you properly. Wheel places use different equipment to test for buckles and they know exactly what to look for.

Even if you find another SH set it would pay to get them checked at a wheel doctor before you fit tyres.