Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting VY SS Front Bar + Skirts ...

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
I know alot of people say "You shouldn't mock up blah blah blah :mad: but to them i say .. f*** that! why not lol it looks great! my car, my cash, my good feeling when people look at my car :)

It's SOOOO obvious that car is an Exec that's been bastardised. The colour to start with, then there's the headlights, mirrors, boot garnish etc etc.

What if someone was to look at your car and laugh? Would that give you a "good feeling"? :D

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
It's SOOOO obvious that car is an Exec that's been bastardised. The colour to start with, then there's the headlights, mirrors, boot garnish etc etc.

What if someone was to look at your car and laugh? Would that give you a "good feeling"? :D

Typical comment from someone who is in the position or who can afford an ss, clubby etc, Let the people who are not quite as grown up/setup or cashed up to have a bit of fun with their ride and feel good about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm letting you mate - don't worry! You can do whatever you like to your car, just don't expect too much street cred that's all.

Yeah sorry, my comment was probably a bit harsh - I just don't understand why some people do the things they do. Just my 2c...

nEb.

Reaction score
Members Ride
04' VY II Acclaim
Yeah ur probably right about the "street credit" but last time I checked we werent playing need for speed underground. As far as im concerned if anybody in an ss/clubby laughed at my car, I would laugh just as hard back because more than likely they're simply being pretencious, and chances are they'll be paying that thing off for many years to come, that they pay twice the amount for petrol than I do and the fact that they're insurance is through the roof, they can laugh all they want, all the way to their empty back accounts. And who in their right mind drives around in a nice car and laughs at other people? Whoever does than congratulations to them, they are the apitomy of the word Scum.
I get that "good feeling" to know that im 18 years old and my car is paid off (And NO mummy and daddy didnt pay for it), and that my car is a rocken 04 Model Commodore.
My car is not the main thing in my life, but just like everything else I own, I like for it to look good, if you can afford to pull out 40gs on a car, then do so. Although to me thats ludicrous, 40 thousand dollars is a downpayment on an investment property.
*Shrugs* IMO - That commodore looks awesome, all it needs is SS headlights, but if I saw it at the local car wash, yes I'd smile at it, but not out of spite, out of appriciation of a good looking car.

eh, my 2c

dan-wess

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY S Pac Series II
There are always people putting others down on this site for changing kits and stuff on there cars. If you have nothing good to say at all keep you comments to your self. If people wanted comments putting their choices down they would post about their commodores on another car compaines forum. We should be helping fellow drivers not critising them.

Their car, their money, their choice.

Well said nEB, well said.
Dan

madgamer2006

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive 2003
I for one cant afford a 40K car, being 18 y.o. So i bought an executive VY 03 which is great for someone this age. I wanted it to look a bit sportier so i bought a clubby kit and i couldnt give a crap what others think as its all about what i think looks cool...

There are plenty of people out there who wouldnt even know what a clubby is and they think my car is totally rad so whats the big deal, let us have our fun and keep our cash for the real stuff, like a house deposit.

Ive had enough raving now lol,
Catch ya's

nEb.

Reaction score
Members Ride
04' VY II Acclaim
were in the same boat bruv, im 18 years old aswell, MOCK IT UP ASMUCH AS POSSIBLE!! LMAO

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Your comments are fair enough - I appreciate where you're coming from.

But try and look at it from my perspective as well. I CAN afford a $40K car and I bought my SS in 2003 brand new for closer to $50K. After spending that money, I want my car to be a bit distinguished from a run-of-the-mill Commodore. So I don't really appreciate when 18 y.o's buy an Exec for $14K (or whatever they're worth these days) and mock them up to look (to the untrained eye) like an SS. It's unfair to the people who have forked out the extra cash for the real thing. Even more unfair to HSV owners IMO.

The above is one of the main reasons I'll be selling my car and upgrading next year. Sorry but I do feel quite passionately about this one, although unfortunately there's not much I can do about it. 95% of the time I DO hold my tongue (keyboard?) at these sort of threads and keep my comments to myself, but sometimes it slips out. It seems that lately there are more and more of these sort of threads for VY's presumably because VY's are getting more and more affordable for younger guys I spose.

Like I said, not much I can do about it.... Anyone wanna buy a "grandpa special" VY SS? ;)

nEb.

Reaction score
Members Ride
04' VY II Acclaim
That is a fair arguement, but mate, in my opininon you BLEW 50K right out the window, because now, the average VY SS goes for around 22-25k, my cousin yesterday purchased a VZ Clubby R8 with 40thousand km's on the clock, LS2, 6L GEN 4 (pictures added below) for $43,000, i think buying a brand new car doesnt pay off in the end, and if you wanted to be distinguishable, then you should have set your sights a bit higher than an ss. IMO. 50K for a brand new VY SS, 43K for a second hand VZ R8 Clubby? lol the SS seems like a poor investment?

nEb.

Reaction score
Members Ride
04' VY II Acclaim
ok also, one more thing to ask, about the original topic of this thread:

I've ended up purchasing the entire kit, (Front,Rear & Skirts) ive been quoted $1,300 fitted and painted, i think this is fair as the: i. Skirts are brand new (thus need priming), ii. front bar is painted (in my colour, but needs to be filled, rubbed back, primed n painted again) and iii. The rear bar has been primed and just needs paint. Anybody know of a good panel beater, with an oven etc. no backyard jobs, in the Melbourne area? Or if you have had similar work done, how much did it set you back?