Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting VY SS Front Bar + Skirts ...

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
That is a fair arguement, but mate, in my opininon you BLEW 50K right out the window, because now, the average VY SS goes for around 22-25k, my cousin yesterday purchased a VZ Clubby R8 with 40thousand km's on the clock, LS2, 6L GEN 4 (pictures added below) for $43,000...

pfft, mate that Clubby is a used car - still very nice - but a used car. It's not even the current shape any more. When I bought my car, it was the sh!t, the latest shape and would turn heads everywhere. Think about that "good feeling" you were talking about before and multiply that by 100.

...you should have set your sights a bit higher than an ss...

I find that funny coming from someone who drives an Acclaim!

There is some merit to what you're saying, and I don't know if I will buy a new car again, but it's something you gotta do at least once IMO. Hey, I could afford it, so I did it. If nobody bought new cars, there'd be no used cars for guys like you to buy! ;)

nEb.

Reaction score
Members Ride
04' VY II Acclaim
Regardless of whether its a used car, or a brand new car mate, that thing is IMMAC, and if you're arguing that its not the current model, its newer than what you're driving so your rebut holds no logic. You're car was the "sh!t" for like a few months, his car will be the "sh1t" for years mate. Its proven that clubsports hold their value and alot longer than an ss does.

My Acclaim is my first car mate, i would love to hear what you drove as your first ride? Im setting my self up for the future, so that maybe one day i can be as great as you and buy a brand spanking new SS.

And buying a new car i totally disagree with you is something you must do. Skydiving is something you must do at least once, hang gliding is something you must do at least once, visiting a city like Amsterdam is something you must do at least once. Buying a new holden is a waste of money.

I see that holden's marketing people have gotten to you very well, and that is true, people like me buy cars off people like you that come to realise that buying their car brand new was financial suicide, inorder to be able to brag to your friends that you were able to drive the newest model for a few months, before something bigger and better was released.

BAH lol bad investment in my opninion man, for 50 k you could have bought a brand new BMW which would have held its value for years to come. EH IMO

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
You just go on believeing what you wanna believe mate. You obviously don't have too much of an idea. I'll leave you be with the original topic of this thread. Good luck with copying my "waste of money". :bang:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Guys

This thread has wandered right off track, but some of the views expressed so far concern me as a mature, (56 years old) Commodore owner and Holden lover for nearly 40 years.

A person's vehicle is much more than an indication of their wealth. It can be an expression of their personality, their creativity and their skills to take something and turn it into something else. I don't give a damn that the Martina coloured VY shown above is based on an Exec, to me it looks superb and is a sensible blend of the right body bits and wheels to make that Exec a real stand-out. The VT-VZ body has been so long serving and so versatile that the number of genuine GM and HSV models is too many to count. Some looked great, others not so. Personally, I don't like the front design of the VY or VZ SS, as I feel that there is too much basic plastic and not enough detail to provide some relief. For that reason, I like the Berlina and Calais front ends far more.

I have just traded a current series Golf, which I bought new three years ago, on a VY !! Berlina. The Golf didn't light my fire and my affection for Holdens was too strong to ignore. I intend to play around with the Berl, changing those details that I feel need changing to make the car suit my ideas. I could have done that with the Golf, but don't like the way that Euro cars look when they have been modified. As well as which, the parts are stupidly expensive.

Guys, you go ahead and do what you want with whatever you have and whatever you can afford. The elitism of "up market" purchasers is a problem they will have to live with. You can feel comfortable knowing that when you drive past me, I won't be looking down on your Exec or Acclaim and laughing.

Regards

pj

nEb.

Reaction score
Members Ride
04' VY II Acclaim
Thanks PJ, very open minded view =) good advice from the more mature.

Well the project is well on its way, i have now in my posession the entire SS body kit, including:
*Front (Including grille)
*Rear (Including black garnish)
*Skirts (Including end caps)

Still need to purchase = SS Headlights, Fog Lights, VZ SS Tail lights (I like the chrome circles) and VY Senator Signature Rims. Before the kit gets sprayed and fitted. I want to do a complete car make over in a single weekend:yeah:

I also have leather coming in from Germany, (the same leather that gets fitted into BMW's, Mercedes' Porches etc. etc.) that should be arriving sometime either this week or next week) note: Holdens leather packages arrive from Japan. German leather has a different texture, appearance, ultimately same shi_t except its a bit softer.

:w00t: CANT WAIT TO GET THAT INSTALLED! - Ordered extra material to redo headliner aswell as seen in the "How To" section.

Will keep this thread updated regularly with progress, however will mostlikely begin a "My Ride" thread, seems more relevant.

krazyboris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Spac S/C
I am all for mock-ups, barring badges. Imo, the badges should not be changed when putting on a diff' kit.

nEb.

Reaction score
Members Ride
04' VY II Acclaim
i dont mind badges, i like the chrome strip on the bottom of the boot, gives the rear end a bit of life i rkn, meh we'll see how it goes.

Slightly off the topic - I purchased a set of SS Headlights from Ebay, the guy sent them by courier on friday, didnt arrive on friday arvo, do they work weekends?