Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Flappy Paddles

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Just wondering what ppl think of Flappy Paddles? What about a retrofit for a SIDI VE?

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I really really don't like them. However, I do believe a V12 Vantage might just change my opinion. Anyone?

Problem with retro fitting them to a VE would be the delay in the auto transmission, ie the time between when you hit the stick to when the trans decides to change gear. If you're going to have paddles, they have to be precise. Not just fast gear changes but minimal delay aswell. The 458 has nailed it.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
yuck....

flappy paddles on F1 only imo.

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
On an SMG yes. On an auto no!

zr1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Totally agree with Tinsnips re "V12 Vantage". Also although irrelevant I think there may have been a paddle shift option on the VZ Calais and sv6.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
The ones on VZ calais are rubbish to use. Its more like giving the gearbox a suggestion of what gear you would like to be in, then it will make up its own mind when it wants to change.
On a proper car with a gearbox designed for it, then it might be a different story

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
You don't think the new auto box would be any good? I admit it is no Supercar when it comes to shift speed but is not bad.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
As an auto box, there's nothing wrong with it at all. But neither the box itself nor the software running it is up to scratch if you're looking for a good 'manual mode'. It's still a case of buying an auto of you want an auto or a manual if you want a manual.

The idea behind paddle shifts is for fast, accurate gear changes whilst being able to keep both hands on the wheel. For that you need something in the vicinity of porche's PDK box. Even the DSG Volkswagen use is ok (ie mk 6 golf... The mk5 not so much) but unfortunately the commodore auto is a dedicated self-shifter with a bit of a suggestion box for the manual option. To be effective, the gearbox needs to almost pre-empt when you're going to pull one of the paddles and swap cogs immediately rather than waiting until it's ready. The whole idea is to put you in charge, otherwise what's the point?

Arguably, I'm taking things here to the Nth degree... But it's just my opinion.

Last edited:

392RWkwSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
tinsnips VW's dsg box is the best gearbox and has been for a long time in an affordable car. the pdk is a rung above but any dual clutch transmission would be fantastic! holden need to move ahead and stop worrying about what ford is doing and start moving with the rest of the world. in any case flappy paddles are fun in any car aslong as they offer a proper manual mode. done properly they can be very effective on a track aswell.