Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

flat battery jump start

kb 2010 ve ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore ute ve
hey,

Was cleaning my car just then an left the radio on, went to start it up then it wouldn't tick over. The only other car i have around home is an old school ford laser. So my question

- Is it okay to jump start my 2010 ute with an old ford laser?

I'm asking because I heard a rumor that you shouldn't jump start new cars with old cars. looking for help before I call NRMA..

Cheers.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Just follow the guides and should be fine
cross fingers lol

Should be fine

1. Switch off the motor of the jumper car...ensure ALL electrics, ignition, dome light etc are turned off in the jumpee car....
2. Connect red / pos leads to pos terminals of both batterys...
3. Connect black / neg lead to neg terminal of good battery...
4. Connect other end of neg lead to a good earth as far from the dead battery as possible, preferably on the motor. (this prevents the risk of exploding the battery if there is a small spark and there is hydrogen present.....a VERY real possibillity).
5. Start the jumper car....after a few moments start the jumpee car.
6. Now the most important part....leave the connections as is for 5 minutes or so, then turn off the jumpee car....NOW disconnect the leads in the reverse order you connected them.
7 The "dead' battery will now start the car by itself with no risk of damage.

This method removes the damaging sparking hazard of disconnecting differing state of charge batteries.

How to Jump Start a Car: 16 Steps - wikiHow

Jump starting your car - Do it yourself help - Supercheap Auto Australia

How to Jump Start a Car - For Dummies

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
LOL i was being serious actually.

Theres no problem at all with what car the donor power is from, as long as its a 12v battery

kb 2010 ve ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore ute ve
whoa sorry man. when i first opened it all i saw was the link for how to jump start for dummies. Thanks heaps mate. haha sorry

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
You could read your manual that tells you the correct way to do it. Main points being: jump to the jumper posts and NOT the battery and turn ALL accessories on the jumpee car ON not off. Also, leave the car running when you disconnect it. No point turning it off, you may just have to repeat the procedure if it doesn't yet have enough juice to start again. There's no hydrogen to worry about as there's no battery where you're jumping to. Besides, it's vented to outside because of it's location. Seriously, I've seen people do damage to electronics by jumping to the battery and turning off all accessories. As for the Laser, yeah he's right that as long as it's 12V it doesn't matter what car it is.

vq~gangsta

Resident science geek
Reaction score
Website
www.mbs.adelaide.edu.au
Members Ride
VE 3.0 SIDI ex-cop
if you find it doesn't turn over right away, have someone hold the accelerator on the laser and keep it at about 2000rpm. That will allow the alternator to pump out some serious amps for a while. Hold it at 2000rpm for about 1 min, that should put a bit of charge into the flat battery, then keep it at 2000rpm when you start the car with the flat battery.

When I used to jump start my V8 from a 4-cyl I found the only way was to get the revs up on the 4-cyl so it's alternator could work properly and let it put some charge into the flat battery before trying to start it.

It may actually be better for the Laser battery to do it this way anyway, the Laser battery probably isn't designed to put out that many amps so having the laser charge the flat battery for a while first will prevent the little battery from having to work as hard.

Also, as mentioned, there are proper jump starting points under the bonnet of the VE that are well away from the battery, just use them and you won't need to worry about connecting the leads in the right order to avoid explosions or the apocalypse or whatever bad thing is meant to happen.

I'm really surprised the VE 'let' it's battery go flat. I thought it had some sort of protection circuit built in to cut off the accessories and lights if the battery got too low

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I've always connected both negatives, and the running cars positive, turned the car on, and the connected the positive on the flat car. That way if you have a small battery on the donor car, but a big battery on the flat car, it won't draw so much power to charge equalise the power between them that it won't start the donor car.

Last edited: