Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

flat battery jump start

vq~gangsta

Resident science geek
Reaction score
Website
www.mbs.adelaide.edu.au
Members Ride
VE 3.0 SIDI ex-cop
Actually there are anti-surge devices you can get for jumpstarting that can either be connected to the battery terminals or incorporated into the jumper cables. It's basically just a big diode to adsorb the surges. Apparently, if the donor car is running and pumping out high voltage, then the flat car starts and begins pumping out high voltage, you can get a big voltage spike that can damage the electronics in both cars.

While I haven't experienced this before in the many times I've jump started over the years, the people that sell these anti-surge devices will have us believe that it's something that really does happen. I'm not quite sure if it's likely to happen or not.

vq~gangsta

Resident science geek
Reaction score
Website
www.mbs.adelaide.edu.au
Members Ride
VE 3.0 SIDI ex-cop
Actually there are anti-surge devices you can get for jumpstarting that can either be connected to the battery terminals or incorporated into the jumper cables. It's basically just a big diode to adsorb the surges. Apparently, if the donor car is running and pumping out high voltage, then the flat car starts and begins pumping out high voltage, you can get a big voltage spike that can damage the electronics in both cars.

While I haven't experienced this before in the many times I've jump started over the years, the people that sell these anti-surge devices will have us believe that it's something that really does happen. I'm not quite sure if it's likely to happen or not.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
and now as an autoelec I chime in.... bang the bastards on and turn the key... voila.

on a serious note, am I the only person who doesn't use the negative terminal of the flat car?