Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

flat battery jump start

vq~gangsta

Resident science geek
Reaction score
Website
www.mbs.adelaide.edu.au
Members Ride
VE 3.0 SIDI ex-cop
I've always connected both positive, and the running cars positive, turned the car on, and the connected the positive on the flat car. That way if you have a small battery on the donor car, but a big battery on the flat car, it won't draw so much power to charge equalise the power between them that it won't start the donor car.

Well that's about as clear as mud. Sounds like both positive makes two, then the running cars positive is three, then connected the positive on the flat car is four.

exactly how many positives do your cars have? and what about the earths? :banstick:

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Well that's about as clear as mud. Sounds like both positive makes two, then the running cars positive is three, then connected the positive on the flat car is four.

exactly how many positives do your cars have? and what about the earths? :banstick:

Sorry you are right I meant connect the 2 NEGATIVES, then the donor car positive, turn that car on, then connect the flat cars positive.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Yeah good point there vq~gangsta. Some cars I've jumped from will increase their revs automatically when you try starting the other car, but not older ones. At least the Hondas have done for many years, but none of my other cars have. I also tend to let the donor car run for a couple of minutes while connected before trying to start the dead car to put a little charge in there as well.
And as for the VE, they're pretty bad for going flat. I think somewhere I read it will take 6 weeks having not started the car for it to be flat, there's a bit of current draw even when they're off. Newer ones might be better, but certainly not mine. So many damn electronics nowadays. (I now carry a jumpstart pack it got so bad - too much going to the car and not starting it). But I too thought it'd shut off the radio/lights with enough juice for one more start. Guess they aren't all that tricky.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Sorry you are right I meant connect the 2 NEGATIVES, then the donor car positive, turn that car on, then connect the flat cars positive.

Yeah I had a bit of a chuckle at that too, but knew what you meant. It's all good. :) Curious though, do you tend to get big sparkage having the car running? I guess there isn't that much difference between 12 and 14.4 volts, but the current I'm not sure on. And if it makes much of a difference when connecting??

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Yeah I had a bit of a chuckle at that too, but knew what you meant. It's all good. :) Curious though, do you tend to get big sparkage having the car running? I guess there isn't that much difference between 12 and 14.4 volts, but the current I'm not sure on. And if it makes much of a difference when connecting??

No more than any other way. I just position the lead clamp carefully over the terminal, then snap them shut.

VEdriver59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE, 09 of 2008, Omega, Auto, 3.6 Litre, 6 Cylinder
You could read your manual that tells you the correct way to do it. Main points being: jump to the jumper posts and NOT the battery and turn ALL accessories on the jumpee car ON not off.

I've seen one sticking out of passenger side wheel arch near the top but where is the other??

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
VEdriver95-
That sounds like the negative, just a post sticking out horizontal. The positive is about a foot closer to the windscreen. It's the red box thing with a cap on the top. Lift the cap and basically it looks like a bolt head vertical. Think there's a + sign on the cap.

acarmody-
Cheers for the reply. Makes sense really. Only time I've really seen sparkage is when I've had issues getting the clamp on (crappy smaller jumper leads).

kb 2010 ve ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore ute ve
Cheers. I got it started not long after posting this. Just to be clear, I know how to jump start but wasn't sure about starting news cars with old.. Anyways thanks again for feed back

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Connect cables, start donor car, let it idle for a couple of minutes or until the voltage output from the alternator stabilises. Start the receiving car (with flat battery). Let it also idle for a couple of minutes or until voltage output from alternator stabilises. Disconnect cables starting with negative FIRST on receiving car, then negative off donor car, positive off receiving followed by positive off donor car. If you disagree with this method, just do it your own way and accept responsibility for any unexpected consequences.

Mungus

SSV364
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV Sportswagon
I never have the donor car running. Old habits and tales maybe, but alternators don't put out or handle the few hundred amps of crank current. Just use the donor cars battery with the ignition off.
My two cents. Never know, might get unlucky one day and fry the diodes.