Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 flat spot, changed ignition and injectors now what?

tim_pato

Reaction score
Members Ride
daily-5.0 5spd vr ss clubodore, project-74 lh rana
What's your definition of head work? It's got lt1 springs and had a minor port job the manifold to TB has been opened up, 70mm throttle body mace style cai pod enclosure. Or do you mean ground for compression? How much more compression would be achieved with cometic 27thou head gaskets?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
any guesses at comp without knowing how far off zero deck you are is just that: guesses.

have you taken that lifter off yet??? you seem to be dead set on mechanical failure, based on a noisy anti-pump lifter noise and some glitter. its not all that difficult to whip off the intake and check your lifter bases.

tim_pato

Reaction score
Members Ride
Then guess away some of you guys have a lot of experience dealing with these motors, did they vary that much from factory?

No point pulling the manifold off and going darn, need new cam and lifters. Do I replace the manifold gasket now and then replace it again in 3 weeks when I can afford a new cam set, or be stuck without a car?I asked about the 286 because there was a bloke selling a 286 cam package at a decent price that only had 2000klms on them before he swapped it for a roller setup,

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
any guesses at comp without knowing how far off zero deck you are is just that: guesses.

have you taken that lifter off yet??? you seem to be dead set on mechanical failure, based on a noisy anti-pump lifter noise and some glitter. its not all that difficult to whip off the intake and check your lifter bases.
did this on the wkend to a mates 308 with 288 sft....thought he had a fkd lobe.
It took 3 guys, 2 swinging spanners and 1 getting beers all up an hour... to remove manifold, rocker cover, rockers and rods...all lifters checked out ok.

tim_pato

Reaction score
Members Ride
No point pulling it off until I can afford to replace the parts if they are the cause.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
Then guess away some of you guys have a lot of experience dealing with these motors, did they vary that much from factory?

No point pulling the manifold off and going darn, need new cam and lifters. Do I replace the manifold gasket now and then replace it again in 3 weeks when I can afford a new cam set, or be stuck without a car?
I asked about the 286 because there was a bloke selling a 286 cam package at a decent price that only had 2000klms on them before he swapped it for a roller setup,
one word of advice!!....never buy 2nd hand cams and lifters unless you personally know the engine and remove it yourself or someone u trust

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355

No point pulling the manifold off and going darn, need new cam and lifters. Do I replace the manifold gasket now and then replace it again in 3 weeks when I can afford a new cam set, or be stuck without a car?
I asked about the 286 because there was a bloke selling a 286 cam package at a decent price that only had 2000klms on them before he swapped it for a roller setup,
search google for a CR calculator

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Buying second hand cam and lifters is just asking for trouble. It's any wonder why so many people have so much trouble with stuff when they're always skimping on parts that are vital to an engines operation.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good deal as much as the next bloke, but some things just should never be bought second hand/on the cheap. Cam and lifters fall right into that category.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
2nd hand is very hit or miss .if the cam sat further in the block compared to where it sits in your block in relation to the lifter bores it isnt gonna last long.$475 gets me new cam and lifters why bother with used.add some welsh plugs to replace the ones in the oil galleries and at the back of the cam as all the grit will get trapped in the oil galleries behind the bungs and plugs to start coming out any time it sees fit.full tear down and clean that grit gets everywhere