Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Foaming VP

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
greenfoam it was the irs in the stato which made it launch harder and faster than my live axle i have at the moment, its a good thing for drags but not donuts and burnouts!
But is the launch advantage worth the extra weight? I beleive it is.

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
the weight difference isnt that great a deal to your times, its not like a live axle car is going to crap all over it, thats a pure myth people say too often on the internet.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
But is the launch advantage worth the extra weight? I beleive it is.

No way, now how and just to be clear - NO! :D
The force required to overcome the static inertia to get a mass moving compared to any traction advantage is huge. The VP is as light as it gets in the rear (No back seat etc etc etc) and I'm running my fastest times ever.

Reaper

nathans1987

Reaction score
Website
4316.awardspace.com
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7L M6
nathan most 5L's will strungle to do a 14 espeically in stock form!

my best 60fter has been 2.22 in a auto IRS full load

any plus 0-60ft times is what i was refering to, after all for street cars by the time 1/4 has passed your going to crash into something on the street or get anal ****ed by the cops :p

what does your ls1 do 0-60? :p
i did 2.1 0-60ft i like my clutch in one peice :p could definitly get that better with my tyres i have no trouble with grip. 1/8 was 8.7.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I got a email today from a guy that I tuned his car a couple months back, he recently took it to the drags, It's VR manaul 304. Only mod is unknown "extractors" could be hsv headers for all I know and a 2.5 inch cat back. Everything else is stock (except tune)

Time slip follows

60' ... 2.173
330' ... 6.101
660' ... 9.350
mph ... 75.88
1000' ... 12.138
ET ... 14.475
MPH ... 96.37

I thought that was some pretty good driving in a full weight VR :)

And about the IRS debate ^ yes MOST of the faster unopened 5 litre times have been done with IRS cars because even with a single spinner you get great drive with the IRS. But the very fastest times have been live axel manual VN's. IRS defanitly gives the average driver a better launch but you still can't beat the live axel VN manuals when driven by a good driver

VZHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
z
hey foamy wat do u think id pull with 3:45 or 3:7 in the arse followed by my new
twin 2.5 into single 3" no resi with high flow cats + ur tune? 14.9?14.8?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Get a full twin system with a X pipe in the middle if you want to go fast. Then send me the memcal for a update. Can't see why it wouldn't go 14.6 at least (if the car is healthy)

HGHOON

vp clubsport #217
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP CLUBSPORT #217
greeny empty your mailbox its full i been tryin to message you to see wat i need to do to get a tune for my hg with the 5ltr in it, i see you post alot bout commodores doing 14.6 with a 'healthy engine and exhaust and etc, i took my old hg out to willow bank with the old clapped out 5ltr stock as a rock and run a 14.5 straight up, mind you i run a manual glide and 3.55 bango diff, you reckon you could shave a few 10ths off that with your tune alone? even high 13 if i freshened up my engine, i have a 355 stroker kit and all the gear here to put in, just gotta machine the block, but wanna see wat i can run outta this engine, pulls mean top gear skids too!

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I reckon a HG is lighter than a VN also a T700 sucks alot more power than your glide :) A VH will also cut a 14.5 with a stock 5 litre but whos knows what it can do with a tune, we can only try, you might be running crazy timing allready so in that case maybe not so much. I'll empty the mailbox a bit so long as no one else sees me do it :p