Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fog lights for Executive

Discussion in 'VY Holden Commodore (2002 - 2004)' started by smyth, Apr 9, 2006.

1. jimbo39aus

jimbo39aus New Member

Members Ride:
    VY11 Executive ex Cop
    I have an Ex Cop VY11 and it does not have the loom fitted for foglights.

2. Cobra30

Cobra30 Member

Members Ride:
    VY V6 S2 Crewman
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
    SlyVR likes this.
  3. race4life

race4life New Member

Members Ride:
    VY ACCLAIM
    nice job mate.. looks real neat. Did you do this all by yourself or did you get a mechanic to do it ?? how do you remove the black panels ? after looking @ what you have done, i think i might give it a shot this weekend but i dont know jack s*** about the wiring so will pop across the road to the auto electrician..

4. daveb8

daveb8 New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Executive
    here is something else for you to look at. no idea how they did it or even what lights they are.....

Attached Files:

5. Cobra30

Cobra30 Member

Members Ride:
    VY V6 S2 Crewman
    The black panels are just clipped in from behind. The clips just need a little encouragement from a screwdriver to release them.

The lights on the police car look like the oval shaped Hella FF50 (might be wrong) - dunno if they're fog or spot.......

Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  6. vy_acclaim

vy_acclaim New Member

Members Ride:
    HBD VYII Acclaim
    Fog light switch

G'Day all. GM manufactures two types of foglight switches - one you will all be aware of in the headlight switch, the other, as a button within the centre console. These are fitted to export Monaro's, and are available only by special order from GM. This part wasn't even in my dealers computer system - they had to look it up. I have included a picture below - button located top right beneath power window switches. They are only available in black. Part # 92209021. Price: $14. Custom component for the masses!

Attached Files:

7. smyth

smyth New Member

Members Ride:
    VY Executive
    I don't like the job on the cop car but the Crewman job looks pretty cool. I might give this a go tomorrow if I can track down similar lights. I'll add that to the shopping list along with an alarm.

8. Cobra30

Cobra30 Member

Members Ride:
    VY V6 S2 Crewman
    Hey smyth, how'd ya go with the lights ?

(I've updated the site a little too, for those who are interested)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  9. smyth

smyth New Member

Members Ride:
    VY Executive
    Yeah not to bad. I got some lights and got them mounted and hooked up. I want to build the surround up a bit and give it a coat of paint and I'll post some pics up.

Thanks for the idea.

10. oxleigh

oxleigh ox

Members Ride:
    vy11 exec LPG
    fog lights

oxleigh
    ox

Ride: vy11 exec LPG

VY11 v6 LPG and fog lights

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have fitted fog lights that shine at 30deg angle out each side, much better than straight ahead, and never used illeagally, there will soon be fog lights conversion that come on either side when the blinkers come on and go off after turning. ask me how??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by oxleigh : Yesterday at 01:57 PM.

oxleigh
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to oxleigh
    Send email to oxleigh
    Find all posts by oxleigh
    Add oxleigh to Your Buddy List

11. Atreidae

Atreidae (Was an) Installer

Members Ride:
    VT Berlina Wagon
    Pic taken from a cop car :D

12. holdensupporter2005

holdensupporter2005 Member

Members Ride:
    2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll
    I thought :cops: cars would be manual :unsure:

13. klaw81

klaw81 New Member

Members Ride:
    VYII SV8
    Toyota Soarers have this "turning light" feature as standard on all models, and having owned 2 over the past few years, I can honestly say that it's one "gimmick" that's well worthwhile. I really miss having it on the Commodore.

I have compared the front bumper of my SV8 against a VY Calais and as far as I can see, there is no difference except for the chrome trim, fog lights and lower grille infill. If possible, I'd like to get the Calais upper & lower grilles with fog lights to dress up the SV8 a little. Does anyone know if they actually share the same basic bumper, or are there actual physical differences?

14. smyth

smyth New Member

Members Ride:
    VY Executive
    I seem to remember reading that the headlight teardrop on the calais and berlina is different to that of the other models and therefore the front bars cannot be interchanged.

15. klaw81

klaw81 New Member

Members Ride:
    VYII SV8
    I've looked at a bunch of photos to confirm that the front bars on the Berlina and Calais are missing the "teardrop" light and therefore don't have the recess in the bumper either. So they're not a straight swap, as you said. However, it seems to me that both top & bottom grilles appear to be the same size as the Exec/SV grilles. (Photos attached to illustrate)

The Calais top grille has a chrome surround and a stick-on chrome strip on the front edge of the bonnet, but it looks to be precisely the same size as the plainer black grille on my SV8. Perhaps I can somehow get hold of the chrome strips?

Similarly, the lower grille on the Calais is a continuous black plastic trim with mounts for the fog lights. The Executive has 2 small "brake duct" openings at the ends, and an untrimmed opening in the centre. I'm wondering if the Calais front bar actually has the same openings as the Exec bar, but the trim strip covers them up...anyone know?

Sorry for the all the questions...I just want to jazz up the front of the SV8 for a slightly less "taxi" look.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  16. oxleigh

oxleigh ox

Members Ride:
    vy11 exec LPG
    Gday Cobra30, I have a VY exec and I have fitted fog/turn lights to the front bumper, I used a couple of ordinary down lights which are 50W qh lamps with the covered glass front, they fit flat into the plastic fill panels and point out to each side about 30deg, when the blinker is on for either side the side that is flashing has the light come on and stay on until the flashing stops. I can turn both on for fog lights that shine out each side, I find in fog these are better than straight ahead as they light up just ahead and to the side enough to see the kerbs and white posts etc. the circuit was a bit tricky and uses 6 relays, diodes and capacitors. the lights only come on if the car lights are on and go off whenever the lights go off, the same as the standard system as controlled by the computer. the circuit diagram is a bit messy but I will tidy it up and post it when I get a chance. I wil see if I can work out how to put photos on the forum and show you.
    Kind regards
    Ian

Attached Files:

17. vyv8sv8

vyv8sv8 New Member

Members Ride:
    vysv8
    do u know if the vy sv8 all ready have the wireing kit there ive been told yes and i have been told no know

18. CANYONERO

CANYONERO Likes Cheese...

Members Ride:
    V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
    yes they do mate, well mine did anyways, bought an SS switch, fog lamp relay and away it went....

19. da89mo

da89mo New Member

Members Ride:
    VY commodore S pac
    hey guys. can someone tell me if the VY S already have the fog light wiring existing. sorry dont know if this has already been covered
    thanks!