Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

For those in Victoria wanting to slam their VE (or even slightly lower it :))

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Yeah, I know. Doesn't matter what the mod is, if it doesn't pass a roadworthy, your insurance policy is void... The insurance company has to pick up on the unroadworthy item though :)

Not necessarily. Really depends on the wording of the policy. Most will have something in the fine print saying the car must be in road worthy condition at all times but if they accept a premium on a car they know has (whatever) done to it then it becomes a very grey area. Details are important though - saying I lowered the car or even fitted xyz springs probably won't cut it as the insurance company won't know what that actually means. The insurance company will acknowledge the car is lowered as it can also still satisfy the "still roadworthy" clause. To fully cover yourself you would need to spell out exactly what has been done - ie car lowered to be 90mm above the ground before any fuel or people are in it for example.

Most mods are unlikely to get a claim knocked back unless you are very unlucky or it contributed to the crash. One massive thing that most miss with lowered cars is when the car hits a bump at speed and bounces off the bump stops due to lack of suspension travel. The car becomes un-weighted due to the "bounce" making it very easy for the driver to loose control and hit whatever gets in the way. There is a good chance that a claim in that situation will be declined. Such a crash happens quite often too.

Reaper

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
So because u google a stupid low commodore,and u see a pic on it's ass, that means that it's dangerous? That mentality is flawed to start with.. It may have bags, Hard to tell with a still image..

Cheers for the heads up reaper, not that I'm upgrading anytime soon.

ssvvan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SII SSV Ute with Sandman canopy
My dealer fitted my lower springs. Can I put it back on them as they didn't say anything?!

kcpwns

Kicker - Livin' Loud :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
Dude.....isn't that jecs ride...dear god it's sexy.
Stupid though? Im sure it's safe then ol mate down the road with chopped sprigs in his vs.

I don't get why you would want to lower the ve on mass rims anyway aren't they rough as ****? Also I think reaper was referring to the lowered fowe hwy patrol car at the start there and ofcourse cop omegas will look lower then normal if they're fitted with fe2

TrikkBen

I'm Back :D
Reaction score
Website
www.asroilpans.com
Members Ride
BNR32
HWY patrol cars are definitely lowered. I saw an SS sitting on the grass near my joint as I drove past, came back and the sills were stuck on the gutter. I know this means nothing to anybody without reference, but let's say a standard car wouldn't have got stuck. I would think that with FE2 and all the gear, 2 people and full tank it might push it onto the lower side of FE2..If that makes any sense.

So in conclusion, all VE owners should now go and remove 3 coils of their rear springs with a Bosch lowering kit.

kcpwns

Kicker - Livin' Loud :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
HWY patrol cars are definitely lowered. I saw an SS sitting on the grass near my joint as I drove past, came back and the sills were stuck on the gutter. I know this means nothing to anybody without reference, but let's say a standard car wouldn't have got stuck. I would think that with FE2 and all the gear, 2 people and full tank it might push it onto the lower side of FE2..If that makes any sense.

So in conclusion, all VE owners should now go and remove 3 coils of their rear springs with a Bosch lowering kit.
Haha you could sell ice to an Eskimo :)

TUFVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS M6
Most ridiculous law I've ever heard. There is no way my car handled better and stuck to the road as a stock set up, better than it does now lowered. And I have never had any dramas with esc. Id be more concerned about the cars that are dumped with no traction control or esc.

They should have to prove that it causes problems before they can even make a law.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport

Haha you could sell ice to an Eskimo :)

They're not lower. The springs have just sagged from carrying fat arsed cops around all the time.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Even though I'm in a different state, I have strong concerns that this requirement in Victoria will become a National Standard.

I've recently been in touch with Pedders Head Office (I have Sportsryders installed on both my cars), and I've received an email reply earlier today.
I'm just waiting for a response to a reply I sent asking for permission to share the email I've received with everyone here, but it appears that Pedders fully supports the new laws- and that the Sportsryder springs have been tested to conform with the regulations regarding ESC, ABS etc.

ie they DO NOT pose a problem to the safety features of the VE.

I'll happily post the email text here so everyone can read it for themselves, but it's good manners to ask before doing so ;).

I think the laws are a good idea, because it stops dodgy operators selling and installing springs that have no business being on a VE in the first place.

BADNWS

Reaction score
Members Ride
SRT
The majority of lowered cars (done properly) are more safer than what a stock standard ride would be. My bridgstone dealer fitted my coilovers and then are a registed inspection station for road worthies, they didnt say anything. Stupid laws are brought in because of stupid people being the minority doing stupid things, this then screws it up for the rest of us who take pride in our cars no matter how high or low a car is... With coilovers they can be set up so everything works togetger, bump n re bound, stiffness or softness. Set up correctly they are. Etter thab the fe2 i had. Before (imo)... nd legaly you are allowed to have 2" bigger wheels than standard