Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ford Calls Quits for FPV

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Would this mean the mustang would become HSVs new rival?
yes, that's exactly what it means. the 2016 mustang is being designed with aussie motorists in mind

Would another performance company spring up to hot up the mustangs and the bloody gay tauruses? would they even need it?
yes, its called Shelby. youll find there will be Shelby divisions alreay looking to setup here under the guise of shops already established.
will they even need it? no probably not, but hopefully the aussie culture of pushing their cars to the limits wont change. but sadly the modding scene is slowly dying.

How long until GM kill the holden and force us to take up camaros and corvettes and other bowties? When, inevitably, will cars come fitted with burger-holders as well as cup holders? This ponders so many questions.. dammit Ford..

I havnt spotted a burger holder in any of my Camaros yet, but ill let you know when they fit one.

and considering that so many aussies take IMMENSE pride in the fact that the platform was developed largely here in oz, I would think youd be happy to accept the Camaro into your home.

anyway, a Camaro/mustang lacks a couple of doors to take over the falcon/commodore market. not that there will be a market, with fuel prices in 2016.
but what is to say FPV will actually shut down.
all the staff and equipment will be swallowed by a subsidiary of Shelby.

from wat i have heard ford america will be bringing both the v6 and v8 mustangs over here, not sure if there is any truth to that but could be interesting

ive heard only the V8 at this stage.

They will come out of the UK more then likely. At the moment no one knows, but talk is V8 only.

^^^ this. from what ive heard, there will be a plant in the UK solely for the RHD mustang.

Either way I think it's a very sad day for Australian motoring, as much as we all love to hate fords they are the reason why Holden sought to constantly improve. It was a two horse race (I don't consider Toyota a contender) now it's a lone horse in a paddock.

youre just one of those boys that boo'ed skaife in 92' at Bathurst. leading for 80% of the race, still running with 3 wheels, won outright and yet the redneck bogans still didn't accept him as winner. saddest day ever was when Nissan were blocked from Bathurst an they became "v8 supercars" enter the most boring series of motor racing ever. hell daytona is more fun to watch.

the fact you don't see Toyota as a contender just goes to prove how closed minded to motor vehicles you actually are

I would imagine this means this gen f range of HSV`s is as good as there going to get.
youre fking high if you think people are not going to try and develop cars further than factory specs.

I also prefer the look of ford compared to Ve commdores (e3's were ok)

same. hopefully ford global will continue that look

although pub, you do say about them shutting it all down,
would you think there is any chance they may keep it part open for the conversions of the mustangs and the likes in Australia?

the mustang will be imported in full volume and will be assembled in the UK

(there are others worth supporting, but clearly they do not produce vehicles worth driving LOL)

there are only 2 countries that make cars.
1. japan
2. germany

japan is only on that list cos' they copy Germany.

every other country make unreliable, ugly, crap.

Anyway enough economic rationalism and financial nonsense.

or: misquoted and opinionated falsehoods?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Interesting way of representing your business, seems as though you have an inferiority complex. For a person in the car industry all be it importing promoting the further loss of jobs, you may or may not know what severe constant job losses do to an economy. If that were to take place, many things will change first of all being the Australian dollar, even though as a prudent businessman you should have already hedged.

Living in the real world as you so put it is pointless if you do not learn from the countless mistakes before you, that my friend is called an education. An invaluable certificate which provides you with a basis to try and deal with ignorant people like yourself.

Good luck to you and the business you are in, might I recommend if you are serious about running an importing business that you look at a Masters of Business Administration, to give you some perspective on economic issues which are obviously a little beyond your capacity.

thanks for the advice. we seem to be doing ok for the last 15 years, but ill keep those points in mind.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
*cough* cruze? with it's daewoo transmission? how awesome were daewoo's again?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
now that ford is shutting and hopefully holden too soon,

Ari

There was a time when I respected your views and comments, but after that idiotic statement, no more. You might like to see local manufacture cease, because it would benefit your business, but there are many more intelligent people around who know just how serious things are when our largest car manufacturers are folding up.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
propping up a shrinking market with govt. subsidies is stupid way to keep unemloyment low.

my company will suffer pretty badly, especially with a bunch of unemployed skilled auto workers suddenly discovering that importing a car isnt that hard...

im saying its about time we moved on.

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
BLAME KEVIN DUDD, his FBT tax changes are going to kill local manufactures, they should be making it mandatory for any Salary Sacrifice Novated Lease to be an Australian made car,

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
propping up a shrinking market with govt. subsidies is stupid way to keep unemloyment low.

my company will suffer pretty badly, especially with a bunch of unemployed skilled auto workers suddenly discovering that importing a car isnt that hard...

im saying its about time we moved on.

It's not the fact that the government is subsidising the companies, it's the fact that two firms who once dominated the Australian market now find it impossible to survive without government assistance. If our market conditions, allied to workplace safety, wage rates, overheads etc are so great that they can put two of our largest companies out of business, our economy is in a sad way.

Saying that you hope Holden will fold up soon seems irresponsible, because of what it means other than just job losses, government handouts or no more locally designed cars.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Fact: are that *every* auto making country in the world subsidizes manufacture in their country. Per vehicle produced, capita, any way you want to look at it, the Australian government tips in a very small amount, far lower than near every other.

Fact: Australian auto manufacturing has been subsidised by govco for as long as we have been building cars here. This has been by direct grants and hiding behind (once) high tariff walls on imports. Since John Button (manufacturing minister during the Hawke era) started dismantling tariff protection in the mid 80's, it's been down hill for Australian manufacturing ever since.

There is no doubt that the tariffs had to be reduced however there is currently strong argument that we have gone too far. At the moment we have several nations we have FTA's with however "free" is not entirely equal. For example, we recently signed a FTA with Thailand which sounded fine. Shortly there after they slapped a tax on every car registered with more than 2.5 (?) litres engine capacity. This more or less crushed any chance of exports to that country (Ford were looking to send the Territory there at one stage) but their cars were still free to come to Australia. There are several other examples of this.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
BLAME KEVIN DUDD, his FBT tax changes are going to kill local manufactures, they should be making it mandatory for any Salary Sacrifice Novated Lease to be an Australian made car,

Errr...you serious? So if you earnt enough to afford a BMW or Mercedes a year how would you like it if your only option was to salary package a basic Holden/Ford/Toyota?

That's just irresponsible.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Errr...you serious? So if you earnt enough to afford a BMW or Mercedes a year how would you like it if your only option was to salary package a basic Holden/Ford/Toyota?

That's just irresponsible.

TBH as a compromise I'd prefer to see Australian assembled cars exempt. At least then we are protecting our local manufacturing.