Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ford could be closing up shop earlier than 2016

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
In the news this morning, it was announced that Ford might be packing up local manufacture earlier than originally planned. The sort of numbers the Falcon is selling at now is so low, you have to wonder how they can keep making them. I reckon the updated model planned for later this year may never make it to the market, which would probably be a shame.

If Ford does pack it in early, it will have a flow-on affect to the other two makers because the parts suppliers will be hit with reduced orders earlier than they anticipated, too, so their costings will have to be rejigged to maintain their viability. Interesting times ahead.

Last edited:

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Did you hear the reason for maybe shutting up early? Wanker unions have stated that if the Government dont have any car industry assistance in the budget, they maybe forced to shut up early.
WTF!!! Are they that dumb?? You tell everyone you are shutting shop, your cars are not selling, and they still want a hand out.
I give up.:hmmm:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Not really surprising.

BTW, when they all announced they were ceasing manufacturing here, didn't they say it would be "by" a certain date, not "on" a certain date ?

May be semantics but means they could stop tomorrow and still be within the scope of their original announcement(s).

I never thought any of them would go the distance, particulalry as you mention Calibre, once one closes up the others won't be far away.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Ford closing up isn't surprising. probably start stripping it out soon.
especially if they are saying production is so low.

Holden would probably try to make it the distance, or do something.
unless it turns Dire like it has for Ford

Toyota I would assume on the other hand would likely still have orders to fill, due to the exporting ability it has.
they would run until the end of the production life of the Camry, or fill the required numbers before they start to shut down and strip out.
possibly even stock up on spare body parts and so forth, for just incase.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
well no point staying open if no one buying the cars , its just the way it is , the biggest problem is a carbon price is $40 a ton here in europe its $5 a ton so its not just the cost of own labour its carbon tax price as well , so I don't blame them going of shores they can't make a profit here.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I am really not surprised by this, I haven't seen any new falcons on the road recently.

I see a lot of the first gen FG's but the new ones are almost non existent compared to the VF

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
I would doubt at the current sales rate, that Ford will bother with an update model.
They are talking about bringing out a "last GT" model of the FPV, with 351kw engine. Will be interesting
to see if this still goes ahead.
Regardless of your brand loyalty, its a shame thats for sure.

apollo13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG
I am really not surprised by this, I haven't seen any new falcons on the road recently.

I see a lot of the first gen FG's but the new ones are almost non existent compared to the VF

The 4-cylinder Falcon is actually quite good to drive, with 70 kg less over the front wheels. But Ford are stuck in a bind - how can they promote them without implying that the traditional Falcon was nose-heavy?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Just to revive this thread briefly. Has anybody else noticed that with every Ford commercial on TV, they show a number of different models, but not one has the Falcon included? Talk about wanting a car to die. There is the Focus, the Fiesta and even the Territory (which is also due to die soon), but the car that led Ford to No. 1 in Australia not so many years ago is nowhere to be seen.