Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ford to shut down production in Australia?

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
what makes you think they will become any cheaper?

ford global are still one of the strongest brands. the UK and US market alone dwarfs holden. just cos' they are finally getting smart and manufacturing offshore doesnt mean anything changes.

I would expect no new significant updates from now to production end.
Dealers will have to discount the Falcon significantly to keep them selling up until the end of planned production, and in particular after production has finished.

Offshore manufacturing and UK and US branding is quite irrelevant

markbaja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec & SZ Territory Diesel
Current governments aren't to blame, back in the 80s the button plan removed tariffs on imports.

This made them more attractive, and as Asian and euro cars became stronger (or better suited to our needs) and in reality, our cars became worse (cheaper, less reliable) the demand for our cars dropped.

It took too long for us to make a car that people wanted, with rising fuel costs being a major contributor.

From memory, was it around the 2000s petrol past the dollar mark? Interesting how the graph posted above shows a steady decline from then.

What I'm getting at, yes previous governments have plenty to be ashamed of, and I suppose they could have done more to protect them, but I think our manufacturers are mostly to blame.

No diesels, no smaller cars, inefficient engines, and in fords case, no exports.

They were ultimately doomed, I surprised it took this long.

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
pretty inaccurate fact. the toyota camry will outlive a commodore/falcon in a high KM race.

Yet anybody with any interest in cars will be bored to death driving one well before that time.

LOL, then the americans refined it and made the camaro faster and better than its aussie counterpart:

lololol - Engineering for that project was done in Pt Melbourne pretty much from start to finish.

have a read: Holden VF ute laps Nurburgring in 8m 21s | carsguide.com.au

slower than a renault clio. pretty sad really.

Yet still the fastest commercial vehicle around the track bar none.

Australians build **** cars /story. ford are doing themselves a HUGE favour by going offshore. australias are slack, lazy, and demand too much money for mediocre work.

trolololol :)

This has been a while coming. I am surprised that Ford and GM has hung around this long.

With some luck, once GM is also gone, the government will be able to bugger of luxury car taxes, etc since there won't be a local industry to try and protect.

LCT has nothing to do with protecting local industry and has everything to do with raising money.

I would expect no new significant updates from now to production end.
Dealers will have to discount the Falcon significantly to keep them selling up until the end of planned production, and in particular after production has finished.

Offshore manufacturing and UK and US branding is quite irrelevant

2014 Falcon update is past the point of no return I suspect. Without it Ford may as well shut the doors now!

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina
pretty inaccurate fact. the toyota camry will outlive a commodore/falcon in a high KM race.QUOTE]

Okay, the Toyota camry that is sold here, along with the aurion are made in Australia, in altona. Just because I mentioned commodores and falcons, I mean all locally manufactured cars.

Also thankyou reaper for pointing out that the Camaro project was engineered here, and that the vf is the fastest ute to have ever lapped the ring. My points exactly

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
I think the aussie obsession/pride of 'our' locally built cars has gone.

Football, meat pies, Kanagroos and Holden Cars.

From a popular Holden ad in the 70's. Shame that now it's all about soccer, kebabs and hyundais.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
No smart ass comments from the usual ford owning just commodores members?

Seriously though, its been comming for a while now. Like already posted, the sales have been dropping for years for the big family car.
With fuel prices the way they are, affordable cars are small cars.
Families these days prefer the compact suv for safety, fuel economy and space.
Australias performance scene (imo) is on the decline. As well as the typical 'aussie bloke'.
They're all turning into frappé drinking, 4 cylinder driving hippsters...
Gone are the days of dad buying his car (commodore/falcon) and loving it like a new born.
I think the aussie obsession/pride of 'our' locally built cars has gone.

Not a hispter and dislike a frappe but certainly do love the japanese 4 cyclinders, 4-l litres less per 100k's and quicker 0-100's and much better turning ability than the Aussie counterparts. Can't wait to have my arse back in a wrx again.

Yeah pretty accurate, most people i know are a bunch of hipster phaggots driving around in 4 cylinder Japanese 'muscle' why dont u just go stick a nice clean weiner in your mouth aswell, nothing excites me about these small buzzboxes nothing at all, the big cars are dying.

Really, people still use the word "phaggot"? Grow up. I guess you prove why most people think v8 driving commodore owners are neanderthal inbred rednecks that like to talk about sticking "weiners" in peoples mouths.

While it is a sad day to see a local industry close it was always going to happen, especially given the continual push for higher and higher wages. Holden won't be too far behind. At least then the government can dump import duties completely.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Loling pretty hard at people thinking that the "family" buyers drive sales for both Holden and Ford. Fleet sales have been the corner stone of both franchises for a long time, since the bullshit carbon agenda, companies and governments have to be "seen" doing the right thing by buying greener cars, so what is the first to suffer? Fleet sales have dropped so much on the larger cars that it becomes economically unviable to keep manufacturing them here.

Also, "Holden built the Cruze"? Please, GM bought Daewoo and Holden imported it and slapped a Holden badge on it. Even now it's still a "Daewoo", just assembled here with mostly imported parts.

The Camry is also "assembled" here, not manufactured here. This is about manufacturing a car in Australia, not about building one. Ford and Holden will still have cars sold in Australia just not manufactured here.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Football, meat pies, Kanagroos and Holden Cars.

From a popular Holden ad in the 70's. Shame that now it's all about soccer, kebabs and hyundais.

Stolen from Chevrolet earlier that decade....

There were several versions back then.

Last edited by a moderator:

markbaja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec & SZ Territory Diesel
They said there will be a freshen up in 2014 (so maybe a mark 3?) then the falcon/territory name will cease as they say that those names are Australian and will feel wrong calling other cars those names.

So there will be Ford, but no falcon.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

S.T.K.E

Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 D22 Navara Dual Cab 4x4
The Camry is also "assembled" here, not manufactured here.

Not true. The New Camry is built pretty much from scrap included the engine. Watched an episode of megafactories on it.....