Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ford to shut down production in Australia?

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Stolen from Chevrolet earlier that decade....

There were several versions back then.

There was also a Sth African version.....not sure how it went though....

Last edited by a moderator:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Not true. The New Camry is built pretty much from scrap included the engine. Watched an episode of megafactories on it.....

Fair enough, I stand corrected on that one. Considering Australia is the third highest in sales for the Camry in the world, I can see why.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Sad day but we all knew it was coming.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
this. people just don't want big cars anymore and that's all there is to it.

Actually they do. Just not large sedans and wagons. SUV's is where it's at.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore

well, I should have been more specific, I ment sedans by that statement.

not only that and the fact that day in day out I hear people complain about the cost of fuel and in a attempt to save money on fuel, they tend to "downsize" and buy a getz or the like.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I don't get it why people put down the Holden & Ford
I work in a job where we have a fleet of about 20 vehicles in our division. We used to have a mix of Falcon & Commodore utes. We load our vehicles up with almost a tonne of gear (truck scales, compressor, generator etc). We average around 1500kms per week, a lot of the driving is done on rough roads in remote western Qld areas. The roads are dusty & rough as guts, temps can reach close to 50 deg C. In all those years we drove the Falcon & Commodore utes, we never had a major failure that left us stranded. In fact I can't even remember any mechanical problems. We kept these vehicles for around 100,000kms before their lease was up.

A couple of years ago the government insisted their fleet cars had to be 'green', so we were forced to buy diesels. We ended up with Colorados and D-Max's. Absolute POS..... we had major failures within 30,000kms of owning them. Intercooler hose blew off and turbo **** itself. Some switch in the fuel pump crapped itself which meant we were stuck between Charleville & Quilpie crawling along in first gear. About 100kays it cleared itself and came good until we reached the next town - we got it towed from there. A/C was lousy on all of them on hot days - the Falcon & Commodore were always cold, no matter how hot it was outside.
And the list of problems continued with the Japanese made Isuzu's.

Our locally designed and built Holdens & Fords may not be quite as 'refined' as some of Euro and Jap vehicles, but they are a good cars - I don't care what anyone says. Every manufacturer has lemons, including elite brands such as Mercedes & BMW. So yeah Holden & Ford are no different. But for the money we pay, we get a good car. And yes it's true, the majority of the Zeta based Camaro development was done right here in Australia....Certainly will be sad to see 2 Aussie iconic car manufacturers come to an end....

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Not true. The New Camry is built pretty much from scrap included the engine. Watched an episode of megafactories on it.....

I can tell you.
everything for the Camry is built from scratch in Altona.
starts from metal which is melted and everything is done, from pressing of panels, grinding of the cams, basically everything.

they even build the LHD variants which are then exported.

Ford shutting up shop isn't just going to effect Ford employees.
its going to effect a lot more from the flow on effects.
if they were smart they would have adapted to something local people actually wanted more of and built it here.

Just the start of a lot of other places going down.
and its not just the car industry that this is occurring in.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy

Yup and with holden to stop making the vf in 2017 , and they will also be stopping the ute and wagons for good, and dropping the v8 driven vehicles . The sedan will be continued but no longer under the name commodore and will most likely with the turbo 4 cyl