Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Formula 1 2013

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
But what does the team (RBR) do about it? Vettel is in a position where the team won't fire him and can't really punish him in any meaningful way without also damaging their chances at the WCC. They could sit him out for a race, they could try and remedy the situation by ordering a reversal of position should a suitable opportunity arise in the future (fairly rare and difficult to do without compromising a race or either of the championships) but pretty much what's done is done. Basically a clever move by Vettel.

It has no doubt damaged the trust the team have in him a bit (by jeopardising a 1-2 team result for his own gain) but when it comes down to it if he can do the job for them they will forgive that. His "apology" wasn't to Webber it was to the team, acknowledging that he might have trashed their hard work and taken both cars out by ignoring an agreement made for the benefit of the team.

Where does it leave Webber? I read that he has some thinking to do, maybe even up to quitting the sport. If he doesn't (I doubt he will) watch him come back at China with a very good performance. A fired up Webber is formidable.

Rosberg vs Hamilton was interesting too. Rosberg evidently drove a better, more measured, race and as a consequence had a bit more performance available towards the end. It's a shame that he wasn't allowed to take the dividend. I think both Hamilton and Rosberg both showed class in the way in which they handled it though. Respect.

All this stuff is why I love F1; the politics, the psychology, the dichotomy between the team and the driver's interests, the engineering and the strategies.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
lol @ the whole Vettel vs Webber crap.

Webber did it to Vettel at Silverstone in 2011. Karma is just repaying the Aussie sook.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
lol @ the whole Vettel vs Webber crap.

Webber did it to Vettel at Silverstone in 2011. Karma is just repaying the Aussie sook.

At Silverstone was Vettel told to turn down his engine for the last 15 laps?

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Yes, no pre-agreed holding of position in 2011, just a radio communication from the team principal. That's not the same thing as violating an agreement on team strategy. This is Pironi vs Villeneuve or Senna vs Prost; a betrayal of trust.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
No, Vettel's car had lost 5th gear, and Mark came from 15~ seconds behind.

Exactly. I'm not saying Webber should have ignored team instructions at silverstone, but he caught him on his own merits and was the faster car so you can't compare that to Malaysia where Webber had been told to turn down his engine and stop racing.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
The Webb is in OZ now surfing with his cell phone OFF for a week to consider his options.........So he says.

I doubt much will change until the end of the year...........New team, but what one? Retire maybe? Would have enough to do the latter.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
The Webb is in OZ now surfing with his cell phone OFF for a week to consider his options.........So he says.

I doubt much will change until the end of the year...........New team, but what one? Retire maybe? Would have enough to do the latter.

Ferrari want him, but it would also depend on Massa's form, which is pretty good at the moment.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
Rumour before the start of the season was he may go endurance racing with the new Porsche team next year. I think it will depend on how the next few races go and whether he is happy with the outcome.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
I think this is interesting:

"Sauber team manager Beat Zehnder admitted: "He (Vettel) has done himself no favours. This has not gone down well in the paddock generally."

http://www.auto123.com/en/racing-news/f1-high-tension-at-red-bull-racing?artid=153958

The guy is obviously a very good racing driver but under what circumstances would you want him driving for you if he disobeys instructions from his employer? He also has a track record (ha ha) of not driving to the pace that the team asks him to. Maybe he's so good it doesn't matter? Maybe not?